𝙾 𝙽 𝙴 : 𝚋𝚛𝚘𝚔𝚎𝚗 𝚙𝚛𝚘𝚖𝚒𝚜𝚎𝚜

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

ON THE FIRST of October, 43 women around the world gave birth. This was unusual only in the fact that none of these women were pregnant when the day first began.

One of these women was Nadiye Teke, age 20, in Istanbul, Turkey. She gave birth to a baby girl who would soon become the eighth child adopted by eccentric billionaire, Reginald Hargreeves. For most of her life she would be known as Number 8. For the rest, she would be known as Jane Hargreeves.

"Five!" Jane whispered loudly as she ran to her favourite of her adoptive siblings' doors.

"Janie, do you have any idea what Dad will do if he sees you up?" A tired Five whispered as he cracked his door open. When he noticed her down expression, he opened the door more, allowing her to enter. "What is it?"

"Nothing. I just needed to see you." She planted herself at the foot of his bed and her head sank into her hands as she rubbed her eyes.

Five sighed, "You had another dream, didn't you?" He slid on his fuzzy socks across his wooden bedroom floors towards her.

"I can't hide anything from you, can I?" She muttered, avoiding his blue-green eyes.

"Who knows, maybe I've developed telepathy?"  Five joked, trying to lift her mood.

"I don't think that's how it works."  She said, shaking her head and for a moment Five saw a hint of a smile of her face, but it soon faded again.

"What happened?" Her eyes finally met his and his heart hurt when he saw the fear and sorrow in her eyes.

"I was trapped in the Black Box again and I saw you on the other side of the wall. I wanted you to see me or hear me, but you couldn't, you just walked away—you left me alone." Jane explained as her heart began beating faster and a lump formed in her throat.

"Jane." Five wrapped his arms tight around her and she immediately returned the warm embrace, hiding her head in his shoulder. She unknowingly shifted into her glass form, proving her vulnerability. That was her curse, when she felt vulnerable, afraid, or sad, her entire body turned to glass. When she felt strong, angry, empowered, or sometimes cocky, her body turned to metal. Five loosened his grip in fear of hurting Jane.