𝚃 𝚆 𝙴 𝙽 𝚃 𝚈 - 𝙾 𝙽 𝙴 : 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚜𝚠𝚎𝚍𝚒𝚜𝚑 𝚓𝚘𝚋

𝚂𝙿𝙾𝙸𝙻𝙴𝚁 𝚆𝙰𝚁𝙽𝙸𝙽𝙶 𝚏𝚘𝚛 𝚜𝚎𝚊𝚜𝚘𝚗 𝟸 𝚎𝚙𝚒𝚜𝚘𝚍𝚎𝚜 𝟷-𝟺

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

"LEAVE THE POT." Five told the waitress at the coffee shop.  She looked at him curiously before hesitantly placing it on the counter and walking away.  "Thank you."  He said before muttering, "Lippy little sh**." And Jane gave him a chastising sideways look.

"You gonna tell me what the hell's going on?"  Vanya asked from her seat on the other side of Jane.

Jane looked to Five and he nodded and began to explain.  "When you were a baby, you were bought by an eccentric billionaire.  He raised you in an elite academy with six other adopted siblings with extraordinary powers, but in the year 2019, in order to avoid the apocalypse, we jumped into a vortex and ended up being scattered throughout the timeline in Dallas, Texas."  Five explained without so much of a pause between his sentences to give Vanya a moment to process.  Her jaw slacked and she looked into space with widened eyes.  "Any questions?"

"What do you mean, 'the apocalypse'?"  She asked, looking over at Jane.

"We mean the end of the world as we know it."  Jane replied.

"Yeah, but how?"  She asked and Jane bit her cheek and turned to look back at Five with furrowed brows before looking back at Vanya.

"You really don't remember anything?"

"No, nothing before a month ago." 

"Then what do you remember?"  Five asked.

After a brief moment of hesitation and thought, she explained, "I... I landed in-in a back alley.  Got hit by a car.  My head was ringing like crazy.  I had no idea how I got there, where I came from."  Her voice was laced with timidity and her brows were pinched in thought as though she was recalling a dream she only very distantly remembers.  "What causes the apocalypse?"  She asked again and Jane looked to Five. 

They both knew that it'd be too much for her to take if she found out that she caused the apocalypse, so Five was careful with his reply, "Asteroid impact.  The big kaboom ends everything.  Just like the one that got the dinosaurs, except way worse.  Bad news is, it followed us here."

"What do you mean, 'it followed us'?"

Jane looked over at Vanya with sympathetic eyes.  She knew this was a lot for her to take, but she had to know.  "Eight days from now, the world ends in a nuclear doomsday."  Jane replied and Vanya kept her blank, shocked stare, her brown eyes glued to the counter in front of her. 

"It's a different disease, but... same result."  Five added, but Vanya shook her head in disbelief, a forced, playful smile tugging on her lips.

"That can't be right."  She said, hoping that if she caught on, she'd wake up and find out that it was all a strange nightmare.

"I saw it.  With my own eyes."  Five told her, staring her dead in the eyes and Jane noticed his grip on her hand tightened ever so slightly.  When Jane looked over at him, Five looked back down at his coffee.  "You were there.  We all were."  He said and Jane noticed the slight shaking of his voice and brushed his thumb with hers. 

"Sh**."  Vanya muttered, the truth of their words seeming to finally click and she turned to get up from her barstool.  "I need to make a phone call."  She said, rushing to the wall-mounted phone in the coffee shop.

"Vanya."  Jane called softly, but didn't make any effort to stop her from going to the phone.  Five began to stand up, but Jane pulled him back down.  "Give her a moment.  This is a lot for her to take in."  She pleaded and Five nodded, running his free head through his hair which had begun to get oily and she realised that he probably hadn't showered properly since he got back from 2019.  "I need to wash your hair when we get home."  She said softly, gently running her hand through his hair.