𝚃 𝙷 𝙸 𝚁 𝚃 𝙴 𝙴 𝙽 : 𝚗𝚘, 𝚗𝚘𝚝 𝚢𝚎𝚝

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

NOT TOO LONG after Hazel left, Diego woke up.  "Good.  You're up."  Jane said with a smirk, getting up from her seat.  She reached a hand down and helped Diego avoid the shattered glass on the ground as he stood up.  "Ready for a drink now?"

As he came to his feet, Diego recalled what had led to him falling unconscious and his head spun as he looked around.  "Where is he?"

"I let him go."  Five admitted with a shrug and Diego stomped towards him.

"You what?"  He asked angrily, but before he could reach Five, Jane jumped in front of him, pushing him back.

"Diego, now that the apocalypse is over, it's time for the fighting to stop."  She told him, but he just swatted her hands away, going to pick up his knives.

"Hey, he didn't kill Patch!  His partner Cha-Cha did."  Five told him before he could leave.

"So what?!"  He snapped.  "They were both there that night."

"Well, this half of the partnership gave me both of their guns."  Five said, gesturing to the guns on the counter.  "Which will clear you, because the ballistics will match Patch's crime scene."  That seemed to calm Diego down and he slowly approached the guns.

"Hazel came here looking for a way out."  Jane added, carefully tiptoeing around the shattered glass.  "He wanted a fresh start and he happened to have in his possession the one thing that could do our family a little good."  She told him, stopping at his side. 

"It's time to move on."  Five said, but Diego kept a stern glare at the two guns.

"Not a chance."  He spat immediately.

Five gave a shrug before getting up.  "Suit yourself."  He said with a sigh, gesturing for Jane to follow him, but she didn't.  She looked at him, determined to convince him to let go.  When he noticed that she wasn't following, Five stopped and turned around.  She sent him a pleading look, knowing she couldn't say anything to help since she hardly had violent tendencies, of course she'd be the one to tell him not to go on a killing spree.  He needed to hear it from Five.  Knowing all this, Five sighed and looked back up at Diego, recalling what Luther had asked him when he was in a similar situation as Diego (coincidentally about the same people as well).  "I'm curious.  Your girlfriend, Patch.  What did you like about her?"  He asked and Diego raised a brow, thinking for a moment.

"A lot of things."  He replied and when Five and Jane looked at him expectantly he added, "Cute butt.  Nice legs."

Five and Jane gave him a shared look of annoyance.  "Anything a little more profound than that?"

After thinking again, Diego said, "She believed in people.  No matter how much sh** and filth she saw on the streets.  She always saw the good side."

Five looked down in thought, remembering that just a few days ago, he had said something similar about Jane.  "Well, I'm sure she'll be proud to know that you're killing Hazel and Cha-Cha as a way to honor her memory."  Five said before turning and leaving.  Jane bit her cheek, debating between staying and talking to Diego or following Five to wherever he was going.  She decided against neither and left to the foyer, hoping that Vanya would come back safe and sound soon.

She slumped down on the steps of the grand staircase, recalling memories of her sitting in this very spot to overhear Vanya's practicing in the study.  She always thought that Vanya sounded so beautiful, even when she was just starting out.  Vanya was quick to realize what caused squeaks to come from her instrument and made sure not to do that.  Jane really admired her in that way.  She was such a fast learner.