Chapter 3 The Meetings

"Newt, I need you ta show the green bean around the place. She arrived early,so there's some time left." At that Alby left the room with the other boy. I turned to the blonde boy, who I guess Is Newt.

He looks pretty approachable, so I ask him, "Can I really not ask any questions?" he shakes his head of floppy blonde curls, but also says, "Any other question, as long as it's not about anything here." He leaves the room, and I'm left standing there with jack and Rob. Uhhh... no thanks.

I hurry out of the room, and follow Newt down the decrepit stairs. He takes extra long because he puts both of his feet on the same stair before he steps down again. His left leg looks slightly shorter than his right one, so that's probably why.

When we got outside, the hugeness of everything overwhelmed me. The gladers were running around, doing their jobs. The glade was a plain green flat land with a couple of shelters made out of sticks.

There was a large dark forest in the corner of the glade, and it screamed haunted. Newt catches me staring at it, and says, "That's deadhead forest. It's where we bury the dead gladers."

"Oh." I simply reply.

We toured the rest of the glade until a grinding noise ripped through the glade.

Newt looked unfazed, while I covered my ears. It felt like it was ripping my head in two. He mouthed to me, "Don't worry. This is normal." How could anything like this be normal! I just started at him until it stopped.

When it was over, I turned to get an explanation from Newt. He pointed to something in the distance. What I saw there I won't ever forget.

They were walls. Huge, towering walls that were covered in moss and ivy. They were so far in the distance I didn't notice them. Then Newt spoke.

"Those walls are the outside of the maze. When those doors open, runners look for a way out. And when they close, monsters we like to call grievers come out. They'll do anything to kill you."

This really was like hell.

Newt pointed to a shack in the middle of a field. "That's where the gladers grow vegetables, fruit, klunk like that."

He then walks around the building I woke up in and stopped on the hill. I followed him, and saw he was looking at a small shelter with a pen of sheep, pigs, and chickens.

"As ya can see, that's where we get our protein."

His voice sounded monotone, implying that he's done this a lot of times.

"How many new people do you get here?"

I knew it was a question, but hopefully not direct enough so it could be answered.

"We get a new Greenie every month. A month times two years."

"Oh. Thanks."

We continued our tour of the glade,and I learned the place where I woke up in was called the homestead. It was bigger than all the other houses.

When I finally asked about the walls closing, Newt responded, "I told you. The shuck things close and open every morning and every night."

"Ok. Thank you." I guess I was a polite person before I was robbed of my memories.

What I say is completely different to what I think.

"Is that all you say? Oh, ok, thank you?" He was meaning to joke around, but I wasn't in the laughing mood.

"Ya."

He took the hint and shut up. The one thing I asked him before we went back up the stairs was a shot in the dark.

"We're you terrified? When you came up in the box?"

All he did was nod.

======

Sorry this was a short chapter. Was writing it in the car on the way to school! xD