Chapter 24

I sobbed until Newt walked into the room. Gally smelled like sandalwood. He found us half awake half asleep, laying on the floor. He freaked out a little bit.

When he was angry his voice got really squeaky. And it cracked.

"Gally! What the :$/& is going on?"

We both jerked awake, and I rubbed my eyes. Newt was halfway across the room and was ready to beat Gally within an inch of his life.

"Newt, Listen to me. Nothing happened, I promise. Will you just listen for a minute?"

He reluctantly nodded, and I told him everything. Except about killing Gally. Newt still glared at Gally after.

He glared right back. "You just think that she's yours. Your little dog or something."

I shushed Gally, but he continued.

"You love Grace, I love Grace, we would both do anything for her. Except tell the truth."

Newt was fuming. His hands were clenched into fists at his sides, and I knew I had to stop them before it got any further.

"Guys, listen. Newt, I love you more than myself. Gally, I love you more than Frypan's bacon. Now both of you shut up and stop fighting like immature little boys!"

That shut them up. We didn't tell Newt about the gally stabbing thing... that would have been awkward.

Gally left and I snuggled beside Newt. He was hot, as in heat. I probably didn't look too good.

"You do love me more, right." I heard Newt say. I flopped around and looked him straight in the eye. He was trying to say it like he knew the answer, but was really afraid of what I might say.

I smiled, and it hurt my jaw.

"Shut up." Than I kissed him on the cheek and tickled his tummy. He squeaked and jumped back. Then he tickled my tummy and I laughed. He was the sweetest freaking person ever.

"Luv ya BAE-bee." He said in a teenage girl voice.

I replied, "And I luvz my Newtie Cutie."

-----------

I woke to the smell of bacon. Newt was waving a plate of food in my face, and I took it hungrily. He had his own, and I hugged him while shoving the greasy food in my mouth.

He laughed. "You really were hungry."

I gave him a look. "Yeah. So what do you want to do today?"

He shrugged and kissed me. I took that as a good sign. He was in an especially good mood.

We got outside and I hugged Newt.

We walked to the deadheads. The trees were starting to lose their leaves. That probably never happened, I guessed, when I looked at Newt.

Newt had a worried look on his face. I poked his shoulder to snap him out of it.

"What? Uh, no. Fine. Let's.... just go."

I was worried about him. He looked like he'd be sick. We went to my tree and looked at the glade.

Newt was inspecting his nails, and his eyebrows inched together.

"Newt, are you keeping a secret from me?" I asked him.

He looked up with pleading eyes, and I felt bad for asking him this. But I needed to know.

"Grace." His voice cracked. "I don't-" I cut him off.

"No. I want an answer. If we're going to go through this as a team, I need to know."