Chapter 22

I woke up around five, and started to get up. Then, I remembered, it was Saturday!

I slumped back into bed and sighed. I loved sleeping in.

I stayed in the exact position until the sun came up. Newt stirred, and I thought about how he didn't get a day off. An idea formed in my mind.

I took a scrap of paper from the corner, and turned it over. It had the pictures that I drew while I thought Newt was dead. Instantly I felt guilty. If Gally or Newt or anyone found out what I tried to do that night...

I scribbled the pictures so no one could see them, and wrote a note on it. It said-

Dear Newt,

You deserve a little sleep. I'll work the first half of the day, you the second. Sleep well!

He should find the note when he got up. I started with the grapes and carrots. It was really easy compared to digging.

At mid-day, I felt strong arms envelop me. I remembered the dream and pushed them off.

"Grace! You are a little angel!"

He said, with a huge smile on his face. His brown eyes shimmered with light.

"I see someone got their beauty sleep."

He nodded and pulled me into a giant hug.

"I haven't slept past noon before. I love you."

His breath tickled my ear and blew my hair.

The other track-hoes were staring and snickering. I gave them dirty looks and gave Newt the gardening tool.

"Get going. I think I missed a couple rows back there."

He stared at me in surprise, but I stuck my tongue out to let him know I was joking.

I jogged to the deadheads and took a nap in my tree.

No apocalyptic dreams this time. When I finally woke, the sky was dark. The stars were out, but there was no moon.

I sleepily rubbed my eyes and slumped off the tree. I almost tripped because of the pins and needles in my leg.

It felt good, the air was cool. It smelled like barbecue, and I let it fill my nose. Frypan and his cooks were (hopefully) making ribs or something.

About halfway to the homestead, I thought about Gally and my promise to remember. I silently changed direction and hope no one saw me.

I stuck my head in the door of his shack, and saw several heads turn my way. The other guys in his group were having an arm wrestling contest. Typical.

Gally was yelling and clapping others on the back, but stopped when I walked in. Most of the boys didn't notice me.

We stepped into a corner and I started talking.

"Have an hour?"

He leaned against a pole, and I remember when we put it up. It fit perfectly into the hole we dug.

"Not really. We're in the middle of-"

I cut him off.

"You're the one who asked me to do this."

"Just one more, alright. Jeez."

He quickly slipped his hand down my shoulder and went back to playing.

I crossed my arms and glared at anyone who tried to get close to me.

Gally won it easily. He went on to the next one, and I cleared my throat.

"Have to go till I lose. Which might take the whole night, if you think about it."

He was so so sweet when he was with me. Around other arrogant guys, he was a total slint-head. Just like brothers, I thought.

He won the second, and the third, and the fourth. Finally a HUGE man boy with bulging muscles faced him. Gally looked him straight in the eyes, not flinching.

"Bring it on."

Everyone clapped and cheered. I even had to smile. Gally, who was really tall anyways, standing in front of hulk.

He sat down to get ready. They lined up to go, and...

Gally licked his hand then put it out. The hulk was surprised, and lost.

I cheered and yelled with everyone else. This was fun. He challenged a bunch of others before losing. Second strongest. Nice.

I grabbed his elbow after he finished and a couple guys oooed.

"Gally's ganna get laid!" I heard one say.

I turned around to glare at him. He shut up.

When Outside I let him go.

"It's late. This is the perfect time to remember. Let's go to my room.