Chapter 21

Ok. There was dirt under my nails, my hair was a filthy tangled mess, and I could barely stand straight up. I needed to talk to Alby about the times.

It had been the most terrible week of my life. So far. Everyone was worn out, and the days went on and on without break. Occasionally we stopped for lunch or water, but that's it.

I was getting used to being tired. The worst was my legs. They ached everyday.

We had different roles now. There were the people who did the direct digging, the ones who put the dirt in sacks, and the ones that carried the sacks out of the hole.

We had made it about to half the pipe when it split off again. The moment we saw it we groaned in unison.

I kind of enjoyed the digging. On days when it wasn't hot I would actually like it. I made up scenarios of killing the creators and that we were digging their graves.

I was more reserved with people. I hardly talked to anyone but Newt. And that's because we slept in the same room. He felt bad that he couldn't help. His limp prevented it. I asked Newt about it once. Didn't go well.

Me: How did you get it?

Newt: Get what?

Me: Your limp.

Newt: *sputter* umm.... tripped.

M: Sure. Crippled for life because you TRIPPED.

N: I DONT WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT. *storms out of room*

So it was a sensitive subject. We all had secrets.

Like how I knew we were being led into a trap. Remember that dream I had? The pipes we were following would lead us into a trap. It was inevitable if we wanted to get out.

One day I looked over and saw Gally standing heavily on his shovel. It was digging into the ground with his weight.

"Hey, Gal? You ok?" I asked him. He squinted at me and shook his head.

"Yeah. Fine. Just, you know, digging."

He didn't look fine. Gally always was tough. He didn't want to give the impression that he was weak.

I put down my shovel and guided him to a bench. I ran off to get water, and when I returned he was still there. That's when I knew there was something wrong.

He wouldn't have stayed if he was the normal Gally. I handed him the water and rubbed his back. I think I would have made a good mother, if I lived through this.

"I have to get back to working, Kay? You'll be alright?"

He nodded slowly, and continued sipping the water. It was sad because I normally saw him with an unexplainable fire in everything he did.

I did go back to work, but worked even harder than before. When it was quitting time, I spoke to Alby about the work load. If someone like Gally was being affected, it was serious. He agreed and we would only be working Monday through Friday. The rest of the time other gladers would do it.

Thank the heavens it was Saturday. Shameful as my appearance was, Newt still gave me hugs and kisses goodnight.

------------

This was sort of a filler chapter. I'm starting to worry that this is going on for too long. But I don't want it to END!

So I tried to write a little differently. Did you notice? If you did, could you tell me what you thought was different?

I have a couple of songs that I think describe Newt and Gally perfectly. I don't know why I'm so into them... but here ya go. Random happiness.

Newt: GRENADE BY BRUNO MARS

(You've probably heard this a lot)

Gally: FIX YOU BY COLD PLAY

AND OF COURSE...30 MINUTE BREAK BY LUKA STATE, FOR WHEN YOU'RE FEELING EDGIER.

And finally, HALO BY BEYONCÉ

Thank you soooo much everyone! You all deserve to be dipped in chocolate and fed to angels!!!!

-Arialuvsfignewts