Chapter 23

I was extremely nervous. What would we find out about our past?

We shut the door, and I turned.

"Okay, so.... when I remembered you were rubbing my shoulder bone. It has something to do with the past."

He nodded and walked up behind me, holding my shoulder.

His scared hand ran over my back and settled on my collarbone. He started to move his thumb, and a weird fuzzy feeling happened in my head.

Sounds were blurred, and I could barely hear Gally.

He pulled his hand back and snapped in front of my face. I looked up at him, dazed. His face was concerned, I can still remember the creases in his forehead.

"Grace." He said.

"I'm fine. That was weird, though." I told him. "It didn't hurt."

He wrung his hands, and stuffed them in his pocket. He looked so innocent.

"Do it again." I don't know how many times I said that.

He did, and the fuzzy feeling was stronger. There was also a pull in my gut.

Something flashed across my vision so quickly I couldn't grab it. That's what it felt like, reaching out to try and grab something, only to have it yanked back.

He kept doing it, but I only felt that same fuzziness. It was like a drug, keeping away my emotions.

The sky was getting even darker, and I knew Newt would be back soon. We had to try something else.

I leaned forward so his hand was off, and instantly felt different.

I put my head between my legs, for my stomach was rolling. The room spun and tipped, and it took all my will power to stay sitting up.

"That's it?" he asked.

I shook my head and my pony tail came undone. I swore and pulled it back up.

"We need something else. I almost got it, but..."

He understood. I leaned into his arms and breathed deeply. I closed my eyes and immediately got vertigo. It felt like I was spinning.

I felt a hand rest on my head, but I didn't open my eyes. He stroked back my hair that had come undone again, and I sighed.

Then came the shivers. Cold chills were running up my back, through my chest and to my ears. Constant and creepy, they slowly overran my body.

I felt Gally lower me off his lap, and my shivering stopped. I blinked and sat up.

He was looking at me really strangely. It was like... He was afraid. Of me.

My eyes landed on his hands. They were hanging loosely at his sides, shaking slightly. He was slouching.

"I'm sorry, Grace. I'm so so sorry. Oh shuck I'm sorry." He said. I didn't know what he was talking about.

"Gally, what's wrong? What happened?"

He shook his head, and backed into the wall.

"I'm sorry. I don't want to do this." he said.

"Do what Gally? You're scaring me." I was afraid. I wasn't sure what was affecting him so much.

He looked at me. It was like he saw straight into my soul.

"You know what we have to do."

Just then The fuzziness crept back into my head. The same fleeting image that appeared earlier was back, but I could see it clearly.

It was us. We were just going into a black pit, that seemed to go on forever. There was only fifteen or so gladers.

Gally held a spear and it was pointed at Chuck. He threw it, and a figure moved in front of him, and it landed with a sick thump in someone's chest.

In the real world, Gally was cradling me in his arms. I did know what we had to do. It was kill or be killed.

Gally would kill someone. Under the influence of the creators. He would live, but who knows what would happen to the rest of us.

His grey eyes were scared. And conflicted. We had to make this decision. He nodded, and I fell deeper into his chest.

Gally had to die.