Chapter 12

chuck maze.runner

I found out who the voice belonged too. It was a boy named Chuck, and he had the chubbiest little cheeks. I couldn't get too mad at the little guy. He was probably only a year younger than me, but felt like a little brother.

"Sorry to interrupt, but Alby is threatening to set the whole building on fire. I would have waiting until after you to snogged, but..."

The little guy laughed and patted my shoulder.

Newt sucked in a breath, and turned away from me. My guess he was blushing.

"We didn't 'snog' Chuck. Now go away. We'll be there in a minute."

Chuck shrugged his chubby shoulder and walked away.

"Alright. Hope you don't get throw off the cliff."

We started after him, just a few paces behind. I folded my hands in front of me nervously, and Newt put his interlaced hands behind his head. His hair was dirty and looked almost brown. I wondered how light it was without all the grime coloring it.

We stepped in the gathering hut, and Newt sat down by the keepers. I sat in the same spot that I was the first time I was here.

"Now that everyone's here, I have some changes to announce in the routine. From now on everyone will be able to take showers at specific times."

There were a few whistles and cheers, and Alby continued.

"Grace, the Greenie girl, has the times."

I walked up to the front of the stage, and held my chart out so everyone could see.

I told them about all the times, and some people made jokes about how some one needed more time then others, blah blah.

I figured this was a good time to talk to Alby, while everyone was distracted.

"Um.. Hi. Thanks for letting me do this. I think you've heard that Gally woke up?"

He nodded. And I continued.

"Well, when I was talking to him, something...a little bit weird happened."

He nodded. "Just spit it out, Grace."

And I did, all in one breath.

"I talked to him and we found out that bugs are injecting us with poison or something weird like that and that's what made us do all these weird thing in our sleep."

Alby's eyes squinted, and he asked me to continue in a suspicious tone.

"I had another dream last night. It showed Gally killing... someone and I looked over at him and he had no iris. When I went to see him, I looked into his eyes and saw no pupil. I don't know if I'm crazy or something else is going on."

Alby nodded, and ran a scared hand over his face.

"Go see the med-jacks about your 'bug bite.' Then come and talk to me at Gallys room tonight at 9. We can't do a thing until we get all the information."

I agreed, And walked out. I spotted Newt, and made sure to step AROUND the magic stick.

"I'm hungry. Let's go get an apple and take a shower. It's my day."

Newt stared at me with his brown orbs, and I remembered what I said.

"NO! Newt, you dirty dirty boy."

I slapped his shoulder, and we walked to the dinner area. I snuck a large green apple out of the fridge, but that's all I could get before I heard the door slam.

I quietly ran out of the building and made sure no one was following me.

My tree was starting to stand out, like angels were shedding light on it.

"Hey, I remember this thing you do with apple stems."

Newt said when I got in the tree.

"You twist it while saying the alphabet, and the one that it snaps on is the first letter of your wife, or husband depending on your prefrence. There's only one apple, so let's do it together."

I put my hand on the apple stem, and Newt twisted while we chanted A. B. C. D. And so on. It finally snapped on K.

Newt threw the stem on the ground, and let me take a bite first. It was really sour, but that was how I liked them.

Newt ate the other side, and his lips puckered. I couldn't resist. I leaned forward and gently placed my lips on his.

His eyes flew open, and we sat like that for what seemed like forever. Then he smiled against my mouth, and pulled back.

I continued to eat the apple, and it tasted a million times sweeter than before.