FIVE

RECAP:

finn met jack's eyes and smiled. "last one to the roof is a rotten egg?"

jack and finn immediately started racing down the hallway, jack not even taking notice of his two best friends, who were awkwardly looking at each other.

jack wasn't aware of what had happened between the two just hours before.

but that didn't matter to jack at the moment. didn't cross his mind. he felt 12 years old again; racing down the hallway with his best friend.

he had missed this.

☆゜*・:+* 。 *゜☆

𝐒UNDAY, JUNE 21st, 2020.

☆゜*・:+* 。 *゜☆

when you don't see someone for a long time, you suddenly notice every little thing that has changed about them.

at least, that's what it seemed like to jack.

finn was sitting across from him; sophia, chosen, jaeden, wyatt and jeremy were all scattered about too. when finn, jack, jaeden and wyatt had gotten to the roof, jeremy was already there. chosen and sophia reached them a little after. once they were done admiring the view of the city, they all settled down to watch the city of toronto slowly wake up. it was truly a beautiful thing.

jack had his elbows set on his lap, his head resting in hands. he was sitting on a blue plastic chair, lazily bouncing his leg up and down, barely listening to the others conversations.

the finn sitting in front of him, jack realized, is so much different than the finn jack knew all those months ago.

his hair is short. that doesn't mean his curls are less wild; in fact, jack is almost certain his curls are more wild than before. jack has vivid memories of teasing the other boy for his unruly locks, only for finn to simply give the shorter boy a cheeky smile and laugh. "look who's talking!" finn would say. jack remembers having to look up at him, and standing on his tip toes to try to mess his hair up even more.

speaking of, finn is tall. not that it's a secret. he always has been. jack wonders if he still has to jump up to reach finn's height, or stand on a tall rock or anything at least a foot tall in order to jump on the other boys back to receive a piggy back ride.

jack realizes he could go on for hours,  reminiscing and comparing. finn's freckles are more faint. his fingernails now adorn black nail polish. his smile is straighter, his teeth whiter. he doesn't reach for jack's hand when he's nervous or anxious or just needs to fidget with something; he plays with his fingers instead.

jack realizes though, out of all the things that have changed between the two, a couple prominent things remain the same. jack's heart still races when finn even so much as glances his way. when their eyes meet, jack feels that overwhelming sense of nervousness, yet excitement, as if someone lit a fire right in his stomach and that warm flame keeps growing, and growing and growing until it's almost impossible to put it out. the only thing that has really changed between them, jack thinks to himself, is their age. growing up. that has gotten in the way.

"jack! are you ready to move in today, i said." sophia laughs, nudging jack suddenly. everyone else laughed, including finn. jack felt his cheeks heat up.