THIRTEEN

RECAP:
"do you ever wonder why? why you've had three fucking girlfriends and NONE of them have worked out? why you always come back to finn, even after all these years? everyone saw you in the van. the way you two act around each other. god, i've seen that kid almost break his neck just turning to see you when he heard your laugh! but, i get it. keep telling yourself just friends, jack." and with that, jaeden walked off.

jack stood there, his mind racing and his heart pounding.

he wasn't in love with finn. those relationships ended because they were with toxic girls. finn was his best friend.

but now, it sounded like he was trying to convince himself of all of that.

☆゜*・:+* 。 *゜☆

MONDAY, JUNE 22nd, 2020.

☆゜*・:+* 。 *゜☆

jack took a moment to get his thoughts under control, and properly process what just happened. a few minutes after he had finally calmed down, he made his way back to the others. their food was ready, and everyone had already started eating.

finn started to scoot over to make room for jack, but jack shook his head and placed a hand on his shoulder. he instead found a place in between barbara and wyatt, and ignored finn's pouty expression from a couple seats over.

he slowly ate his chicken strips and fries, (he ordered the same thing every time,) and listened to the others conversations, taking in what they were saying. whenever jaeden would try to make eye contact with him, he would simply look at his food or whoever happened to be talking at the moment.

"you're quiet, jack." sophia commented halfway through the meal. "you good?"

jack nodded, maybe a little too enthusiastically, and mumbled an excuse about being tired. the others continued with their meal and about some roller coaster they wanted to go on, but finn couldn't focus on the topic on hand. he was only focusing on jack. he was never this quiet; only when something was on his mind. a lot of people seemed to think jack was always quick on his feet, and quick to make decisions. while that was somewhat true, jack was also logical. he tended to think out serious decisions or situations longer than almost anyone finn knew. he didn't want to make a mistake; and even though he often did, (that was just jack,) he was okay knowing he had made the decision he wanted to make.

finn didn't know what could be on his mind, but he didn't want the boy to be sad. when they all finished their meal, finn quickly ran to jack's side, running his fingertips down jack's spine and standing in front of him. he laughed as jack got a cold-chill from his touch, and the shorter of the two grinned and pushed him away slightly.

"you were quiet," finn remarked.

"why is everyone saying that?"

"because you were."

jack looked at finn for a fleeting moment before looking at his feet and shrugging. "just thinking."

"ohhh, right. thinking about what, jackie?"

as soon as finn muttered that last word, jack looked up at him quickly, with an almost bewildered look. it caught finn off guard, and he shook his head, furrowing his eyebrows.