SEVENTEEN

RECAP:
finn went quiet, looking past wyatt. wyatt turned, and saw jack standing there, suitcase in hand, giving a small smile, almost looking nervous.

"welcome home." wyatt said, walking over to give jack a quick hug, then leaving jack and finn alone.

"i can go." finn said.

"no, that's okay." jack replied, stopping him before he could get up. "i'm just unpacking my things and getting settled in again."

finn wanted to say so many things. he wanted to yell out and almost cry at how defeated he felt, he wanted to wake up from this nightmare. he wanted to go back to joking about stupid things and cuddling and teasing each other.

but instead finn left jack alone.

jack had been wearing my hoodie, he couldn't help but think as his eyes threatened to spill with tears.

☆゜*・:+* 。 *゜☆

SUNDAY, JUNE 28th, 2020.

☆゜*・:+* 。 *゜☆

as jack unpacked, finn simply shuffled out fo the room and sat with the others, who were scattered around the living room. jack felt himself frowning as finn left the room, but he tried not to let it get to him. he knew he had hurt finn; he needed to give him time. even if it hurt him just as much.

jack heard a light knock at the door, and was surprised to see sophia come in, giving him a small, reassuring smile, which made jack already feel a million times better.

"welcome back, bubs. how are you feeling?"

"bubs?" jack grinned. "aw, man. you must really feel bad for me."

sophia started to laugh, quickly tickling jack's side, causing him to drop the sweater he was trying to fold and put away.

"no tickling!"

"i'm sorry! and maybe, i do feel a little bad. you haven't been around in days, and finn isn't feeling the best either. what happened?"

jack shrugged, trying to brush her off. he knew he couldn't explain it to her. especially not right now. he couldn't figure out how you were supposed to put pain into words. it wasn't like the time jack fell off the slide on the playground when he was eight and skinned his knee, or the time he accidentally got a black eye during a baseball game; (he had cried for hours.) this pain was more unbearable, more sharp, and definitely more present in his heart.

"i had a talk with finn. i told him that i couldn't do it anymore."

sophia shook her head. jack could see the confusion flash across her face, flash across her pale, sharp eyes, across her light skin and flushed cheeks.

"do what?"

he couldn't answer her. he couldn't even look into her eyes. he knew he would cry, and he didn't want that. he did what he had to do; the right thing. he had to keep things professional, he had to move on.

he knew he loved finn. he just didn't think it would hit him that hard. and he certainly wasn't ready for it.

jack threw the sweater aside, pushing past sophia and going to join the others in the living room. she followed him, her steps just as fast as his the brunettes. the five others looked up as sophia and jack joined them, looking slightly bewildered at the sudden movement.