mask

K A Y C E E
__________

"he's perfect." a girl beside me melts d boy who was talking to his friends.

"he's alright, i guess." i admit, not being a total fan of the guy who seems to be the leader of the whole school.

"what do you mean? he's a literal god." she gasps in disbelief, i shrug in defense, turning my head to look at the back of his head.

i guess i had been staring too long because my best friend, bailey sok, started snapping in my face.

"earth to kaycee?" my head snapped to her and i had her a small smile.

"why were you staring at the mr. lew?" she questioned me, making me scoff.

"i was not staring, bailey." i remark, she raises and eyebrow.

"why would i be? he's sean lew. i despise him." i continue to defend myself, bailey's eyebrow lowers and smirks.

"if you say so." she sighs, i roll my eyes and swat her on the arm.

"why do you hate him, anyway?" bailey questions, looking at sean talking to his group of friends.

"he's just so full of himself. he thinks because he has every single girl wrapped around his finger that he rules the whole school. he's so annoying." i complain about the asian boy.

"what if he's not actually like that? what if he was kind and caring but it is covered by his reputation? ever thought about that?"

"no, i'm pretty sure he's just a crap bag." i disagree, my head shaking aggressively.

"anyway, he's having a party tonight at his house and it's an open house so any me could come. i was hoping we could go, please??" she pleads.

"bails, you know how i feel about parties and it doesn't exactly help that he's hosting it, so." i shrug.

"please, kaycee. we never go to parties, please just this once." bailey goes onto her knees, making me groan.

"fine. just this once." i give in, bailey squealing jumping up and down.

slower than usual, school finally ends. bailey and i walk back to finish our homework and then get ready for the party that was at 9.

"you look gorgeous, b." i compliment her outfit.

"says you." she compliments me back, a blush making its way on my face.

"it's 8:45, we should get going now." i announce, grabbing the keys.

once we got there the stench of alcohol immediately fills my nose making my face scrunch up in disgust. the typical party, red solo cups scattered on the front lawn and around the house, streamers dangling everywhere, sweaty people grinding against eachother, couples eating each other's faces. i think you can tell why i don't come to parties.

"hey kaycee, didn't think i would see you here." julian, one of sean's best friends greeted me. his words slurred.

"yeah, bailey dragged me here. not really my kind of thing." i shyly said.

"here take a drink, let loose, relax." julian handed me his cup, i politely denied.

"take it, rice. just one sip." i listen to him and take a small sip of the drink. the disgusting liquid burning my throat, making me cough.

"yeah, drinking is also not my thing." i hand him the red solo cup.

later that night, bailey was dead-wasted. the last time i saw her was her sleeping on kenneth san jose.

i sigh, walking up the stairs  and turning into a room. i gasp when i see the sean lew laying in bed, on top of the covers.

"sorry, i didn't know someone would be in here." i apologize, walking towards the door.

"no, no, it's fine. you can stay." his words slurred and sad.

i nod and sit at the edge of the bed. i notice sad music playing in the background, softly. i sigh in amusement at the relaxing moment.

"i don't know what's wrong with me." he breathes out.

"what?"

"i just want to feel numb, i don't want to feel anything."

"it hurts, being neglected by your family. feeling unwanted. feeling alone." his voice shaky.

i just sit there, letting him vent to me. i move closer to him, even in the dark room, you can see the tears streaming down his face.

"you're not alone, you'll never be alone."

"don't act like you care, don't act like you don't talk about how conceited and how annoying i am." sean's voice breaks.

sean lew; the guy who walked with confidence and beamed with pride, whose stare would send a shiver down anyone's spine. was breaking down, the mask finally coming off, revealing the broken boy hiding behind it.

i don't say anything else, i proceed to caress his cheek, calming his soft cries. i stroke his hair, letting him cry on me. it was weird, how easily i let him.

he hugs my waist, bringing me closer as his cries begin to quiet down. his eyes start to close and soon enough his breaths steady out.

the night went by faster and it was already beginning to look like dawn and the thought that every person is hiding behind a mask, a facade is still eating away at my mind and it's true. every person is hiding behind a mask that changes their personality and when they take it off, it's a whole different person.

and one of those people includes, sean lew.

author's note

sorry for being inactive.

i just got back for my he dominicano republica

anyway, i got a lot of drafts so i'll try to finish thoughts

thanks for reading

- heav