Chapter 27

Tris POV:

I see a man run out of the building, his hands covering his face. He's not in pain, he looks sad. A woman follows him. No, it can't be.

Tobias?

Oh we'll, I can't get distracted I'm on a date with someone else.

Me and Dan dance and talk. Then the next song comes on. "And now you taking her to every restaurant, and everywhere we went come one!" A girl with an accent sings. "I want you back, I want you back, want you want you back." Oh come on.

I start to feel guilt pouring in me like Tobias pouring the ingredients into his dauntless cake. I'm thinking about him again. "Dan, my legs are getting tired of dancing, and I need some air, ill be right back. You can stay and dance, ill be right back I promise." I say. As I walk away I can barely hear him say ok. I wasn't completely lying at least. My legs do hurt. I just starting feeling them again a few days ago but I'm not the best at walking yet. I refused to keep using the wheelchair, so the doctor gave me cruches that I strap to my arms.

I get out and sit on a bench. I begin to sob. He's gone. With someone else.

Then I hear a girls voice. It sounds familiar, but I can't remember from where.

"Tobias, I know it's hard, but-" "but what? She's obviously happy without me!" A man interrupts. "I don't know why I even came. You guys wanted to make her jealous, but obviously that didn't work."

I realize the voice is coming from my left. I look over and see Tobias and-

"Marlene?" The word escapes my mouth before I realize what I'm saying. "Tris" she says with gritted teeth. Then she runs over and hugs me. She looks uncomfortable. "How?" I ask. "I landed in water when I fell off the roof. And then I was also kidnapped by Al, but I escaped earlier than you. I saw you there. I guess you didn't see me." She says. "What are you doing here now if you escaped a long time ago?" I ask. "I don't know, I wanted to escape the war. But I came to do a friend a favor. And-" she looks back at Tobias who looks confused, or stunned,or both. "I ran into him." She says with a smile. I almost think she winks at him, but I can't tell.

"So are you guys a thing?" I ask.

"No, we'll not yet, maybe, I'm not sure. I just got here and he looked sad so I asked him if he wanted to go out and, ya, here we are." She says. "Oh" I say. Something tells me she's lying. "There's seems there's some tension between you two, you should talk it out." She says. "There's nothing to talk about, we broke up, he's with you, I'm with Dan." I stop, unsure of what I should say next. "It might help" she says. "You can't hate him forever." "I don't hate him I love him" I spit out. I didn't mean to say that outloud. I hope he didn't hear.

Daniel walks out. "You ok? Who's this?" He says in his cute British accent. Tobias all of a sudden looks mad instead of sad. "This is my friend, were just talking" I say. "And that's" I pause and lower my voice. "My ex" I whisper.