Chapter 10 - Home

Dusk had set in by the time we reached the Moonlight Inn. The galley on one end of the room was filled with adventurers, merchants and workers drinking and eating by the soft light of the hearth and candles. The sounds of laughter and rambunctious conversations that filled the air were cut short as me and Tessa entered. The room paused as they all looked at us before a sudden cheers broke the silence.

"Raah~! It's the golem adventurer!"

"I saw that fight with the Guildmaster! Who knew your fist could fly off like that!"

"Hey~! Can you flip some skirts with that skill for me!? Haha!"

I waved half-heartily at the crowd. A hint of nostalgia and worry waved over me when I saw how merry they looked. If they were all dressed in khakis, I'd feel like I was home again. 

Home...

"Oof! I'm starving, Arlan. Let's get a room for you and order some dinner." If I had a face, Tessa would've seen me looking despondent. But I couldn't. She kept her cheerfulness around her, still excited over my new look.

We walked over to the check-in counter to talk to the innkeeper.

"Good evening Miss Tessa, Mr. Golem. Did you need something extra for your room tonight?"

I stepped forward to address the older lady, "I'm actually looking to rent a room. And a meal for the both of us."

"Well I can rent you a room, Mr Golem but a meal? Aren't you...?"

"I can eat, yes. Don't ask, please. Just tell me how much." Irritation at having to explain myself every damn time is starting to leak out of my voice.

"Ah, well the room is 10 silver a night. It comes with breakfast each morning but lunch and dinner is a separate fee of 5 silver each."

I quickly pull out two of gold coins and put them on the counter. "Here's for the room and meal tonight and for the next nine days."

She takes them hurriedly and hands me a key with a number on it.

"Y-You can just sit down wherever you like and I'll tell one of the barmaids to bring you both your meals." I think my tone of voice was picked up by the Innkeeper. Even I could sense she was getting uncomfortable at my presence.

Keeping myself in check I say my thanks and walk towards an empty table. I sat down as Tessa came over and sat down in silence. Cheerful Tessa went back to worried Tessa.

"Arlan, are you alright? D-Did I say something wrong... ?"

"...No. No I'm fine. Just, seeing everyone here laughing and having a good time reminded me of home."

"Your previous life right? When you were a soldier?"

"Yeah... I guess even in another world, people can still act the same."

"You've never told me much about it, you know? About your previous life, other than how you died that is... "

"I still feel it you know. I can't feel anything in this body but I feel it in my spirit, if that makes any sense. The feeling of being torn in half when that explosion happened and my consciousness just going away."

We sat there in awkward silence. Even the crowd couldn't dispel the mood surrounding us.

It was then that Tessa beamed up suddenly like she caught fire, "Oh! How about you tell me!"

I re-balanced myself on the chair at her sudden exclamation, "Huh? Tell you what?"

"Tell me about your world! You've seen how this world is? How is it different? I wanna know!"