Chapter 8 - The Guild

Haldin was as idyllic as I imagined. Cobblestone streets paved the main road towards a large city square. An enormous fountain was it's main icon, catching the flower pedals in it's waters that were strewn about by the gentle breeze. This square was the main area for commerce and social gatherings. While not crowded, there was a definite flow of people going about their business.

Surrounding the square were a multitude of boutique shops and larger buildings. While the main avenue leading towards here was filled to the brim with merchant stalls and businesses, this seemed like the main area for people looking to spend their hard earn gold real fast. Quality goods were on full display at their merchant's windows and outside their shops and stalls. Past the market the avenue seemed to continue north towards a rather large mansion. Tessa explained that it was the Region Lord's mansion and the district where all the nobles lived. From what I gather, this country's government is feudal, with the Region Lord's family in charge and the nobles supporting them. One noble family holding absolute power? Well, I shouldn't pay any mind to it. Everyone here seems to be generally happy with their life at least. It's not my business anyway.

Our group stepped towards the biggest building of the plaza. A giant, elegantly crafted sign nailed on the front of the building, The Adventurer's Guild. From what Tessa told me, they sound more like utility workers than anything. But all I can use is my fighting skills. I don't really have any other training for other employment. Right now, it's my only avenue for income until I can figure out something else.

"Arlan, I'll leave your registration to Lady Hina and Tessa. Me and Jude will drop off our materials to the guild counter while we wait for you to finish everything."

With a wave and a prayer for good luck, Kleid went in ahead of us with Jude in tow. The thief seemed more interested in hitting the bar from what I could tell from all his groaning.

Tessa slapped my shoulders in anticipation.

"Alright, Arlan! Don't be nervous! We'll be behind you one hundred percent of the way~!"

"I'm not nervous. I've done job interviews before."

"Really? Your eyes keep blinking off and on..."

Wait, they do!? Does it respond to my thoughts? I mean, I am a bit nervous. I can sell myself pretty well in an interview but they still make me uneasy. To think it's translating to my eyes. Is this frame doing this as an alternative for facial expression?

"Tessa, Arlan. Stop idling. I'd like to make this quick if you don't mind. We still have plenty more to do after this."

Hina snapped at us like an instructor, bidding us to enter. We both straightened up and walk in together.

The interior was quite spacious. On one side you had a bar with various adventurer's drinking and laughing with the other end looking like a gathering area with various couches and tables strewn about. I could hear their raunchous discussions even from here. And on the far back end were a multitude of kiosks with uniformed clerks manning each station. Lines of Adventurers were formed for each of them. I could even see Kleid and Jude, staring longingly at the bar, standing in one. Jude's laissez-faire attitude was in sharp contrast to Kleid more serious demeanor.

Hina ushered us towards a disconnected kiosk at the corner of the room next to a set of stairs leading towards the administration offices. The young woman standing behind it acknowledged us as we approached and smiled sincerely.

"Good afternoon, Lady Hina. And you as well, Tessa! How was your dungeon delve? Did you need to speak with the Guildmaster?"

"In a moment. But first, I'd like to register Arlan here as an adventurer."