Chapter 30 - Upgrades

I awoke to the smell of brine. I wasn't sure how long I was out but I now found myself lying on a rocky beach. Gentle rain patted me from above as the sky was overcast with gray, broken only by the god rays that poked through the clouds above. The sound of wild grass rustling with the sea breeze could be heard behind me.

The sudden realization that had all my senses again brought me out of my stupor. I was back in my body again. The one I had before I died. Is... is this a dream?

"This island is the reflection of your soul." a voice whispered.

I looked over at the speaker's direction to find Celecia next to me. Her own white and gold dress twirled along with her lavender hair against the briny gusts.

I wanted to shout. To tell her that she nearly killed me and my friends. But no voice came as I mouthed the words.

"I won't ask for your forgiveness. If you knew, you would have gone down there yourself, just to die on your own. I told you before; I know everything about you. Who you were. And who you are now..." she continued to stare at the sea, ignoring my grievances.

"But understand that I believe I made the right choice when it came to you. We've always known." she continues, "From now on, the path will only become more arduous. You've made your choice. Now go. Soon you'll have the tools needed to take your first steps. Take the Watcher's strength and go southeast to the ocean. That's where you'll find the next step."

She looks over to me with a... familiar smile, "I'm glad you've made the right choice, Brother. Welcome home."

***

[Repairs to operating system finalizing... Reboot complete.]

The familiar sight of my HUD returned as I pushed myself back up. The coliseum was now gone. We were somehow returned to the familiar sight of the boss room.

"A-Arlan!? Everyone! Arlan's awake!" Tessa was sobbing in relief next to me before she jumped into my frame in a sudden embrace. Erwyn was next to her giving me another one of his sleazy grins again.

"Welcome back," Erwyn responds, "Thought we lost you for a while."

"Yeah. I had some more repairs to do," I stated, "But it looks like you're all in one piece at least." I looked over at both of them. Looks like my healing had done the trick.

He looked at me inquisitively, "Is that you're doing?" he asks, "When we came to, that Centaurion thing was ripped open and we were all healed."

The events before I passed out began to flash in my mind, "I think I must have unlocked something in this golem body. Gave me the strength to beat this thing." I don't think it's a good idea to give him the exact truth. To tell him I grew a giant claw and ripped that thing in two while I used amplified magic to heal everyone... that's too dangerous. I don't know how he'll react.

He continued to look at me suspiciously, "Is that it? Can you show me?"

I shook my head at him, "No... I can't access it anymore. Even if I could, it might be too dangerous to use." It wasn't a lie per say. It's true; I really couldn't summon that claw anymore. But even if I did, I'm terrified of what would happen if they saw it.

Tessa began to interject, "H-Hey, it's been a long day! Let's finish up here and leave. Everyone's tired and we'll need to make camp once we go back outside again."

Sighing, Erwyn gave up on his interrogation, "Well, if you say so Tessa. I just hope whatever you find here is worth it." His usual grin appeared on his face again, "You did save us. We owe you that much, at least. C'mon! Johann and Aelinor are waiting in the Treasure Room."