Chapter 11 - Hallowed Spirit

I awoke again at first light as the sun started rising over the horizon. A bit later than last morning but maybe that's because Oracle was having a harder time detecting light inside indoors. I still feel strange over sleeping. I don't "need" to sleep but for [Spiritual Attunement] to improve, I need to keep on my human habits, even if it does seem redundant.

As I got dressed again, a knock echoed from my door. Hina and Tessa were waiting for me outside, ready for breakfast. We headed downstairs towards the galley as I nodded and waved towards the Innkeeper. I wanted to be a bit more friendly to her after my snapping remarks last night. She seemed to notice my intent and greeted me with a more relaxed look on her face.

Sitting at the table, we ate a meal consisting of what looks like eggs, bread and bacon. Now that I think about it, I don't remember seeing any livestock as we were reaching the city. Were they kept at a different part of the farmlands?

The random assortment of merchants and adventurer's seemed to gawk at me as I ate. I gently put the food into my intake with a spoon like a small garbage disposal. I could hear their whispers about what I was doing, some wondering if it was a product of being a combat golem. Others just staring in awe like I was pissing out in the wind.

As we finished the meal, Hina was looking outside through the window. She stood up from her seat when she saw her companion. "It's time. Let's greet her outside, shall we?"

Heading out the door, we come face to face with an older woman who looked similar to Hina. The robe she was wearing was just as ornate but the rosary beads and ivory symbols around her hands and neck along with her simple wooden staff gave her away as some sort of priest.

"Everyone, allow me to introduce High Priestess Mira of the Church of Celecia, Goddess of Light."

The high priestess bowed towards us in a graceful manner. For a friend of Hina's, she seemed to hold an air of maturity to her.

"T-The High Priestess!? S-She's the companion you mentioned, Master!?", Tessa frantically bowed deep and tried to make me do the same. I gave way to her pressure and bowed myself.

"Good morning, my child. And you as well, Arlan. To think I'd have a chance to meet you. I had scarcely heard word of you and your exploit of ridding the land of vagabonds when Lady Hina explained to me your circumstances and bid me to meet you. If we could, I'd like to continue this conversation somewhere more private. We'll need some space, as well."

We all moved towards the small park where me and Tessa trained last night. It seemed secluded enough for us to do whatever it was required, especially this early in the morning. Now that we're here, she moved in front of me. It was sudden but neither I or Oracle sensed any hostility in her actions.

"Lady Hina explained to me your circumstances. Along with your true identity. A spirit bound into a golem. It's quite unheard of. You're the first, as far as I've known. But a spirit binding into an object or a body isn't. Those that do, however... are called the Undead."

That feeling I had last night returned. Dread creeped up from within me. I was so focused on the idea I've reincarnated that the possibly that my spirit just showed up and took control of some random object didn't cross my mind. Maybe I was still actually dead, refusing to return back to the afterlife.

I then realized that I was starting to back away from the High Priestess unconsciously. Is she going to kill me? Unexpectedly, she laid her hand gently on my chest.

"Please be at ease. Lady Hina brought me here because she trusted me. And she trusts you as well. Most spirits who wander the earth after death do so because they are unable to pass on. They hold grudges against the circumstances of their death or even a person, at most times their murderer. There are some like Liches who seek eternal life or power by dabbling in forbidden magic, becoming undead in the process. But you are not like those spirits. In fact... you are not from this world, correct?"