Chapter 29 - Stolen Fire

A moment before my oncoming demise I began to cry out to Celecia. Now something else answered. An oddly polite voice began to speak inside my head.

OH MY. THIS IS QUITE THE PREDICAMENT YOU'RE IN.

This voice doesn't belong to Celecia. Compared to her almost choir-like speech, this one's tone dripped with pure contempt.

But not at me.

"W-Who are you!?" I shouted.

BE AT EASE, LITTLE LAMB. THAT (CREATURE) ISN'T GOING TO ATTACK YOU ANYTIME SOON.

My eyes focused back on the Centaurion. At the moment, I thought it would fire its cannon at me but it hasn't done so yet. In fact, everything was completely still. The world around me looked drained of their colors.

SO YOU'VE NOTICE, YES? THE (FLOW OF TIME) HAS STOPPED. FOR NOW.

Looks like I've received a stay of execution. But still, a newcomer has appeared and I don't know what his intentions are. He's even powerful enough to stop time! Is he another god that's been watching me?

WHY NO, LITTLE LAMB. I AM BUT A (SERVANT). ONE WHO ATTENDS TO (HIGHER BEINGS). TO BE COMPARED TO THOSE (GODS) IS QUITE (INSULTING).

It could hear my thoughts!? "Just who the hell are you anyway!? How did you find me!?" I shouted.

It's manner of speech was too strange. Whenever he said certain words, it felt like something else was being said but something else came out. Like he was censoring himself.

I'M AFRAID IT'S BECAUSE WE DON'T QUITE (RESONATE) WITH EACH OTHER, LITTLE LAMB. AT LEAST, NOT YET. OH, BUT I DIGRESS! MY NAME IS (THE FACELESS CHILD WHO WATCHES THE WAVES). IT'S A PLEASURE, (ARLAN).

I was a bit perturbed by what I just heard, "What kind of name is that?"

IT'S QUITE A PLEASANT NAME, I ASSURE YOU. I'M AFRAID THESE (PEOPLE) DIDN'T EVEN BOTHER TO UNDERSTAND OUR BEAUTIFUL LANGUAGE. AS TO WHY I'M HERE, WELL... I'M HERE TO HELP YOU, LITTLE LAMB. YOU HAVE BEEN (CHOSEN)!

"By what?" I asked skeptically.

OH, YOU'VE NO NEED TO BE SO SUSPICIOUS, LITTLE LAMB. YOU'VE BEEN CHOSEN BY THE (CRYSTAL)! YOUR (CORE). THE VERY THING THAT POWERS THAT (VESSEL). HOW ELSE COULD HAVE A WAYWARD SOUL BE ACCEPTED TO INHABIT IT? YOU HAVE BEEN DEEMED A WORTHY (SUCCESSOR). OF COURSE, IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN THIS WAY. TO THINK THAT IF YOUR (CORE) HAD NOT BEEN EXPOSED, I WOULD NOT HAVE FOUND YOU.

This thing seems to know about my body but I don't have time to ask questions right now. I need to find out a way to defeat the Centaurion.

THAT'S WHY I'M HERE, LITTLE LAMB! SINCE YOU ARE A (SUCCESSOR) TO THE (GREATER BEINGS), I AM OFFERING MY ASSISTANCE.

Well that's a bit of a relief, however... "If you want to help me, I've got no reason to say no but..."

WHAT'S THE CATCH? THERE'S NO CATCH, LITTLE LAMB. IT IS A (SERVANT'S) DUTY TO ATTEND TO THEIR (MASTERS) WHEN NEEDED. I ONLY ASK THAT YOU MEET WITH ME WHEN YOU DEFEAT THAT (CREATURE). WE HAVE MUCH TO DISCUSS ABOUT YOUR (INHERITANCE). I'LL BE WAITING OVER IN THE LABORATORY WHERE YOUR (VESSEL'S) UPGRADES SHALL BE. YOU ARE HERE FOR THESE, I ASSUME?

"Wait, what do you mean 'me'? If you haven't noticed, my body is a complete wreck!" I shouted.

ALLOW ME TO GIVE YOU A SMALL SAMPLE OF YOUR (INHERITANCE). I CAN'T DO MUCH FROM THIS DISTANCE BUT YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO DEFEAT THAT (CREATURE) WITH EASE.

My frame began to uncontrollably shake. The soft blue glow that usually emanated from my core began to shine hotly turning into an almost lavender like color. A low hum started to reverberate from it.