Chapter 12 - First Request

Arlan,

I am sorry for what happened before. Your spirit was guided to that vessel in such a way as to mask any involvement of divine intervention but it seems even that had unforeseen consequences. For now, I have corrected that mistake. I have attached my blessing as well though you may have noticed it provides you with no benefits. However, if you were to meet others with power who can discover that you carry my mark, they'll understand to leave you well enough to your own. That alone should give you more benefit than anything else I could provide. Unlike my kin, I do not wish to meddle in mortal affairs more than needed. What path our children take is their own, even if it's the wrong one.

However, this is one path I cannot just turn a blind eye. When your children are racing towards the edge, even a parent must step in to protect them. The sins of the past have come to haunt our present. My Brothers and Sisters have already devised their own solutions. You are my own.

Why did I choose you? It does not matter. Whatever I say would not satisfy you. Just know that I feel you are the correct solution for the path ahead. Does that anger you? Knowing I have plucked you from the peace of death on merely a whim? Or are you belated at having a second chance at life? Of course you are. You know I hold you in much higher regard than you realize. Our souls resonated in that abyss. I know you all the way down to the very fiber of your being, even if you do not realize it.

But what about you? What path will you take now that you are here? For the coming trials ahead, you will need to be much stronger. There is a reason why I chose that body to be your vessel. Head to the ruins to the northwest of Haldin. There is a room at the very end which will only open to you. In there, you'll find the first step.

Or not. You can always just follow your own path. My Kin have already set their pieces in motion. They may just be the ones who could put a stop to this. But you are not someone who lets others fight their battles, are you? Whatever your choice, know that you will always have my blessing.

But I know you'll make the right choice, Brother.

***

I reread the letter a few more times just to make sure I understood everything that was written. The sender was Celecia, the Goddess of Light and creator of Humans in this world. It also seems that she was the one who put me in this situation. Wait, was she the one I saw in the dream from my first night? She said the same thing too. Said something bad is going to happen soon. The sins of the past, right? The other gods have their own solutions to this as well. I wonder what they did. And there's something to investigate over in the ruins northwest of Haldin. It sounds like there a dungeon there. I'll have to check with the guild sometime to find info.

Should I tell someone about this? No, this will only make me stand out even more. Even worse, if these portents of doom were to come to light, people might panic. Even if I wanted to, I doubt anyone would believe me. No one wants to hear bad news.

In any case, I should continue with today's plans. Thinking on this won't get me anywhere. I leave my room and head out towards the Guild.

The streets started to bustle as I walked down the avenue. Seems like my little display caused quite a commotion. There's a few guards already at the park interviewing people who might have information on what happened. Doesn't seem like anyone saw us, at least. That's one thing I don't have to worry about today.

When I finally arrived at the guild, the foyer was packed to the brim with adventurers. Looks like everyone was here to grab the day's new quests that were posted. I waited it out a bit before the crowd started to die down. I headed towards the board to see what was available to me. As rank F, I could only pick up quests that were the same rank at the moment. Once I got out of this probation phase to Rank E, more options would be available to me.