Chapter 25 - The Past

Jen, as open and bubbly as she looked on the outside, rarely shared super deep information about herself.

She never bared her past to anyone, never showed her struggles to anyone unless it was incredibly bad and then she would go to Kate, but she never opened up to anyone else.

For some reason, sitting in the dark on Slash's couch, the TV long turned off, only one small lamp on in the corner, she felt safe. The older guitarist just felt like a vault, someone she could tell her secrets to, and someone who could give her advice.

"I mean, yes there was someone who I guess I thought treated me right, but that turned out to not be true and apparently it was just a total lost cause."

Slash felt his heart hurt at the thought of anyone not treating her like the smart, high achieving, caring and gorgeous woman that she was.

"You can tell me about it if you want, but I don't want to pry if you don't want to talk about it obviously." Slash gently stroked her hair, continuing to hug her to his chest making sure that she felt safe and comfortable.

"You know, I've never told anyone the specifics, but I feel ok with telling you. Maybe you can give me some advice? No one knows about most of this, but I think I need to talk about it," she confessed.

"Of course, maybe I've been through a similar situation or maybe I can help you." He gently pulled away from her so they were facing each other.

He looked into her trusting green eyes that were brimming with hope.

"Well the first two years of college I dated this boy, he was a baseball player at UCLA, everything was perfect, he just was great at the beginning, we clicked well, I didn't really know what I was doing in relationships and he kept claiming he was doing so much stuff for me and always made me feel like a bad girlfriend, even though I felt like I was doing everything I could for him."

The guitarist held her hands in his. "That's not healthy at all, I'm sure you were great. He sounds awful and I swear I'll never do that to you." Slash's brown eyes were warm and trusting and Jen felt herself getting lost in them and feeling like he would truly be different.

"Well then he also told me to change my personality and be different and less outspoken and everything and made me feel awkward about how I present myself in public and stuff and I went with it because he'd always threaten to leave me which is just sick, I shouldn't have changed at all for him or for anyone." Her voice broke a little and Slash immediately hugged her to his chest.

When she was ready to start the story again, she let out a deep breath. "Ok, so then we dated for two years and he just dumped me randomly for this other girl and I could never figure out what he saw in her, it was just awful and I was so heartbroken for months. I didn't think I'd ever have feelings for anyone again. I shouldn't have been though, because he was dumb and he never treated me very well even though he claimed that he did and he never did anything romantic for me."

"And now, I have you and you seem so different from that or anyone else that I've ever had feelings for, like you literally just did such an amazing random sweet gesture that I've never had anyone do for me before. It made me so happy and I feel like you are everything I've ever wanted in a man."

The guitarist sat there a little dumbfounded. "That will never happen again, I'm so sorry baby. You never deserve to be treated like that, you deserve someone who will show you off and do things for you and accept you the way you are."

"It's okay Slash, I didn't know that it was so bad until I got out of it."

"Still, I can promise you I will never do anything like that and you deserve much better."

"Thank you. And thank you for letting me talk about it, I just never have." Jen cuddled up to his chest again.

"Of course, babe you can come to me with anything you want to talk about."

"Do you think you could tell me happened with you and Perla?" Jen was still a little in the dark with that situation.

Slash shrugged. "It's over now you know? I just don't think she ever appreciated everything I did for her, and I just felt terrible because she just left randomly with this other guy for no reason. I couldn't figure out anything that I did and I still don't know what went wrong. I'm just going to relax about it because I'm just so happy that I found you and you treat me so much better even just right now."

He leaned in to kiss her cheek. "You even asking about my past relationship and how something affected me means a lot because I just felt like with Perla, she never listened or asked how I was and it just felt like I loved her much more than she loved me and I felt like I put in more effort. She never acknowledged my little romantic gestures that I always did to make her smile and I felt like she took me for granted."

"It's okay Slash, I will always appreciate your little romantic gestures I promise, I've never had anyone do that stuff for me and I can't imagine taking it for granted."

"Thank you Jen." Slash felt himself smile, she was truly the best and he resolved to love her and treat her the way that she deserved.

She snuggled further into Slash's arms, craning her neck to plant a kiss on his jaw.

"Felt nice." Slash said softly, "God I'm wiped out today."

"Tell me about it." Jen had given up working on her paper tonight in favor of staying over at his place. "Wanna go to bed?"

"mm hmm. Want me to carry you to the bed?"

"Yes please thank you babe." Jen relaxed as he scooped her up bridal style and gently took her upstairs, laying her down gently on the bed.

"Good night babe."

"Good night baby."

-----------

What do we think of this chapter? Honestly, another deep authors note here. The character of Joey is definitely inspired by my own ex. I'm so lucky to be in a great relationship now with a boy that I truly love who I know treats me way better and thinks that he is so lucky to have me. I can't believe I got stuck in that bad relationship and writing this chapter really helped me heal from all the unhealthy stuff. I'm so grateful to be able to write and share it with you guys so thank you for reading an letting me express all the things that happen in my life!