Chapter 2

I put on my best fake smile. "Good morning Mr. Styles, Mr. Payne says that you needed some assistance with your computer?" I was always told to have the client tell you what's wrong rather than assuming before you even see the computer.  This just prevents me from overstepping.

He scratches the back of his neck, "Um yeah, it seems to be running slower than normal."

I walk towards and around the desk before asking, "May I?" I gesture to the computer with my hands and he rolls his chair back, letting me step in.

I bend over so the computer is at eye level. After inspecting it, I see that it is, in fact, running slower than it could be.  First, I go to his Task Manager and we go through the applications one by one to shut down whatever he isn't using but is running.  Then, I go into his files and see that almost 95% of the hard drive is taken. Usually, when there is that much on the memory, the computer takes longer to process simple actions.

I turn around to see him looking over my shoulder, watching my every move. He seemed tense, as if the minute I hit the wrong thing he would snap at me. I again, give him my fake smile and say, "The problem is not with the computer itself, it's with the memory. If you give me about thirty minutes to an hour, I can put the memory on this drive." I show him the external hard drive I have. "Then, you can get back to what you are doing."

"I need my files." Is all he says.

It takes all my power not to roll my eyes at him. "I understand that sir, that is why, when I transfer the the files to this drive, you can keep it in here. The minute you plug this back into the computer, all of your files will be there again."

"And why do I need my files in a different location?"

"Because you were complaining about your computer speed. There are too many files. Look," I gesture to the screen that has the memory information pulled up, "you can see that almost all of the memory that is on this device is maxed out. That isn't healthy for the computer and for you." I tried to make a joke, but he wasn't laughing so I continued talking. "Because it is almost full, at some point you need to transfer the files to a separate location or you won't be able to do anything on the computer."

He looked at the screen and then back up at me with is big green eyes that now have clarity. "It will make the computer faster?"

"Very much so." I answer. "It's like if you have a lot going on in your head, you need more time to process what other people say, but if you're carefree and have little problems, you can think faster."

This time he laughs, but I wasn't joking. I was trying to explain this to him. "Do you think I am stupid or something?" He sounds angry. Again, I try not to roll my eyes.

"No, I-"

"I have built this company up from the ground with few people. I do not think of myself as a stupid man and the fact that you can come in here and talk to me like a child is absurd."

Before I lose my cool, I take a deep breath and turn around to actually look at him. "I'm sorry sir, I did not mean for it to sound like I was belittling you. I was trying to explain the situation in layman's terms. I figured, since you are the CEO and have a lot going on, you would need a simple definition so you don't need to think so hard over a simple fix." I state strongly. I have grown up around all men, especially in a technology field so I am used to getting talked down to by a man. This just makes me stronger.

When he doesn't answer, I take that as my cue to speak again. "So, now, if you would please let me do what you hired me for, we can both be on our way with the day."