Chapter 30

Yet again, another phone call wakes me from my slumber. This time, however, I'm sleeping deeply so I'm much more annoyed when i answer the phone, not bothering to look at the caller beforehand.

What is different this time is that it's later in the day, around 2:30 pm.  For the past week I have been waking up early to make and eat breakfast with Stephen.  After that, I fall back asleep and when I wake up, I go on my computer and check out what I missed at Styles Co.  From what I can see there have been no more attempted break ins to the system and no money had been stolen.

"What?" I groan into the phone assuming it's either my family or Brian.

"Well hello to you too."  I hear the Irish voice speak.

"Niall?"  My hand wipes down my face, trying to wake myself up more.

I hear his laugh ring through the other end.  "It's the 21st century, love, we have this cool thing called caller ID."

"Damn I should learn how to use that." I joke with him.  "Are you still at work?  It sounds like you're typing on your computer."  I decide to try to distract him from why I’m assuming he actually called.

Niall sighs loudly on the other end.  "Yes I am, it's a busy time of the month for me so I ordered takeout, have you on speakerphone and am working until I finish."

"That stinks, especially because it sounds like you're alone."

I hear ruffling on the other end and assume that it's him shrugging.  "I'm not, actually, Harry is helping me out, he just ran to get the food from downstairs.  Speaking of him, he's a right mess with you sick, when are you coming back?"

At the mention of Harry and how he is handling this, my heart starts to beat faster.  In all honesty, it breaks my heart a little that he hasn't asked Brian where I am.  If he did, I have the hope Brian would have told him and he would have tried to contact me.  "Uh Niall here’s the thing, I’m-”

“Ni, I got the food, are you ready to eat?!”  

My breathing stops when I hear Harry’s voice and I immediately hang up the phone.  I’m absolutely not ready to speak about what is happening.

“Oops, bad connection.”  I mutter under my breath, putting my phone down and getting dressed.

For today, I choose light jeans and a maroon turtleneck, it’s getting colder and living right by the ocean doesn’t help.

“Good afternoon!”  Margaret calls up the stairs to me.

“Good morning.”  I reply kind of dully, not fully awake yet.

She rolls her eyes at me and hands me a mug of hot chocolate.  I breathe in the smell and steam coming out of it.  This is my favorite drink in the winter and I’m surprised she remembered.  

“I’m going to take care of the horses, would you like to come?”

I jump at the opportunity since I haven’t stopped by their stables since I’ve been home.  “Absolutely, just let me finish this cup and get my coat.”

“I will go grab the golf cart and drive it around.”

Margaret was hired as just our driver, but has always taken on a bigger role in the house.  I’m guessing more so now than ever since her grandchildren are older and go to school.  She doesn’t have to watch them during the day so she can tend to more things on our property.

Grabbing my coat and rushing out to the cart Margaret, my memories of our horses come rushing back.  These memories make me smile.  I remember so many times of taking them out for a ride and our female giving birth.