TWO

"she licks blood off her fingers and she looks like divine absolution. careful, meleager; this is your spot but she's not playing a game. do not think you are safe because you love her. do not think she will not stain her mouth red with your blood too."
-atalana

CHAPTER TWO:
TAKEN AWAY FROM WHERE YOU BELONG

I flinch as a hand touches my back. I glance over my shoulder and at Checkers. She was crouched down by me, her hand clasped over her mouth in horror. Her hands are stained red, I know it wasn't like that before.

She probably tried to wipe away my blood with her hands.

"I'm so sorry," I cry. I launch myself at my best friend, she opens her mouth to speak but no words come out. Her breath smells like blood, it makes me want to gag but I don't. My arms wrap around her waist tightly, my head buries itself into her neck and my body shakes with the effort of my sobs. My body was still cold and ached with the feeling of her sucking put my blood.

I don't want her to be mad at me.

I was only trying to help her.

"Checkers," My arms tighten around her as my best friend begins to shake. "I know how much you hate that but, but you were really hurt and-"

"It's okay." Checkers promises. She pulls back, tears in her eyes just as heavy as the tears in mine. Her red eyes were dark with sadness. "How bad did I hurt you?" Her eyes glance down towards my arm but I hide the still bleeding extremity behind my back.

"It'll stop bleeding soon."

Checkers frowns. "That's not what I asked. Hell, Ren, you're shaking. Seriously, how bad was it, you don't have to protect me." Checkers grabs my face, holding it with a motherly concern. "I just need to know how to help."

With that, I break down into tears again. My hand clutches onto Checkers shirt, my body trembling against hers with every rapid intake of air. I cried silently as Checkers held me, cooing comforting things into my ear.

Checkers was a couple of years older than me. When my parents died and I was still a troublesome teen who didn't have a clue about how to control her powers Checkers took me under her wing. She became my best friend quickly but it was more than that, she became someone I looked up to, someone who guided me.

She was like my mom but better because she couldn't tell me what to do.

"It hurts," My body complained about the loss of blood so quickly after the fight and about the ice in my veins.

"I know," Checkers whispers, her tone guilty. "We need to fill you up on something more than pancakes later."

"Okay," I pull back, grimacing at how her mouth was stained red just like her hands. "It's not your fault-" I get cut off by a heavy hand over my shoulder.

The werewolf touching me, who I recognize as the ranking top warrior, Pete doesn't even spare me a glance looks at my best friend who sobers up from her guilt under his eyes.

"Gamma Lilac," Pete addressed Checkers, he politely ignores the blood around her mouth and my still bleeding wrist.  "Alpha Percy has requested that you give permission for Alpha King Ekon to enter the territory as Alpha Percy is at the pack meeting."