TEN

"If you bleed,
Don't let your blood go to waste,
Let it burn,
Let it drown those who hurt you,
Let it stain their hands red so everyone knows the color of your blood,
If you bleed,
Let everything go down with you."
-This Is Your Duty (S.N.S.)

By request and because I'm a sucker for making my readers happy,

EKON's P.O.V

CHAPTER TEN:
THE KING'S PAST

My hands grip my tiny mate's waist, her soft skin rubbing tenderly against my rough hands.

I hold back a possessive growl as I pull her closer to me. We stand in the training field as we watch her best friends spar.

I was okay with Lilac, or Checkers as my little one likes to call her, she was fiery and protective of Renee.

But Melvin, or Cupid, I didn't like him much.

He seemed like a caring wolf, he was strong too but he was mated to that bastard that hurt my little Renee.

Every time I see Rex my wolf snarls in my head and I have to physically restrain myself from shifting and tearing him apart slowly.

I know I would enjoy feeling his bones crack between my jaws and I am not ashamed to admit I am more bloodthirsty than my wolf.

Rex bore his neck to me, he submitted and I could have easily taken advantage.

I could have ripped his spinal cord out and choked him with it but Renee cares about her best friend and killing his mate would displease her.

My mate's word is now my law, and I don't want to upset her, even if it means sedating this maddening urge to make Rex choke on his own tongue.

As Lilac kicked Melvin in the ribs I looked down at my mate who winced as if in pain for him.

She cares about her pack, her people, more than I can imagine.

She is training the same warriors who've tormented her for her entire life out of kindness.

That speaks volumes of the compassion in her heart.

Renee is loving, intelligent, and powerful. I don't know how anyone could look at her and see someone worth hating or hurting.

My mate had undergone so much in life, I have barely skimmed the surface about what she has been through but the scars on her body and mind tell me all I need to know.

Renee has the fate of two kingdoms resting on her shoulders yet she smiles as if it doesn't way her down.

In a way, I'm jealous of how carefree she can be, but in other ways, I am thankful she doesn't have to atone for the same sins I do.

I don't know why or how the moon goddess saw me fit to be her mate but every day I will earn my rightful spot beside Renee.

I will never be good enough for her but with every breath, I will try.

Renee holds my heart in her unknowing hands and I will gladly let her crush it as long as I'm by her side.

"You're so precious, little one," I kiss below Renee's ear, my lips aching to kiss her everywhere, to press into her skin until I have tasted and touched every inch possible.