THREE

"do i still taste of war?
can you feel the battles on my skin stitched across my back
am i still rebuilding bone by fragile bone?"
-what does forgiveness taste like? (r.n.)

CHAPTER 3:
REASONED WITH BLOODSHED

The Alpha King rumbles underneath me slightly, the sound chased my trembling body to ease slightly against him.

The slight rumble, I realized, is what werewolves often do to soothe their mates and young when they are in distress.

It works, though. It is calming me down. My heart isn't racing as much and my body isn't shaking or as tense but it didn't stop my mind from being plagued with my thoughts.

What did I do to earn being taken away from my mate, by my best friend, none the less?

Does Checkers think I don't deserve him?

I whimper at that thought, my face pressing into the King's skin sending pleasurable shocks through my body.

"Alpha, Alpha King," Checkers voice wavers in fear. "I welcome, I welcome you onto the territory and... and I am so sorry for, for trying to-"

"Shush, pup," The King snarls, his voice, although angry, makes shudders run down my spine. "Take me to your Alpha."

I don't remove my body from his, or bother to look at where we were going as the Alpha King began to carry me, his warriors following him and all of us following my silent best friend.

I peeked out from under my lashes, guilt pooling into my stomach that I was so easy to dismiss my best friend for my mate.

No guys is worth that, not even the Alpha King.

I tug on my mates hair lightly, my attention instantly getting lost into the work of his silky strands. How did he get them so soft? He really needs to tell me what kind of conditioner he uses so I can get me some.

"Yes, little one?" Must he call me little?

I focus back on my mate, my cheeks flushing when I see how close our faces were.

His eyes were the silver kind of gray that looked like clouds right before a thunderstorm.

Beautiful but dangerous.

His lips were rosy and looked very kissable. His cheekbones were well defined alone with his jaw, his chin was pointed out defiantly. His nose looked crooked letting me know it had broken at some point as it didn't heal properly.

He was stunning.

I blinked, my cheeks turning a deeper shade of red than they were before. My face felt incredibly warm, along with my body. It still ached but it wasn't as cold.

I think a lot of that had to do with the King.

"Can you set me down, please?" I ask, my voice soft with respect. Alpha King Ekon was my mate, but he was also my leader.

How do you address someone that means so much to but literally could control everything about your life if he wanted?

What am I even supposed to call him?

"Of course, little one." I hold onto his shoulders as he gently sets me on the ground, his hands came up to hold onto my hips as he placed me in front of him.

I huffed. "I am not little."

Admittedly, most grown adults were taller than me and I was on the shorter scale of things at 5'2" but I wasn't little.