FIVE

"my mouth drips pure venom, my eyes glow full of hatred and if I'd let you read my mind, you'd be screaming through your tears."
- my heart will leave you blistered and stained
S.N.S

CHAPTER FIVE:
THE DAY WE GAINED NOTHING

"You motherfucker!" Checkers yells before I get the chance to. She reacts quicker than me, her body launching at Rex.

I gasp feeling torn between staying away from my number one tormentor or sticking up for Rex only because he is Cupid's mate.

I choose the latter, me trying to be a good person and all.

I rip myself away from the King's side, my hands gripping onto Checkers outstretched arms, I slam them back down to her sides, she whines not being able to cause the harm she intended to. I wrap my arms around her fighting body, my smaller one stronger than her.

"Move, Ren so I can rip his fucking head off!" Checkers hisses, her fangs flashing menacingly at Rex. I gulp, knowing that whatever hurt Rex was hurting Cupid now.

He's my bully, and I hate him for the pain he caused but now he is so much more than that.

"No, hey, Checkers, calm down." I try to soothe her but it just seems to make her angrier.

"After what he did! No!" She screeches. I can't see Rex's face but Cupid is looking quite guilty and pale while Ekon just looks very confused.

"It's okay, they're mates," I whisper making Checkers eyes flash with anger.

"I don't care, he hurt you, he hurt you so many times!" She screams, her arms pushing me away enough that she got a good claw in at his face before I pulled her away again. "He deserves to feel the same pain, I bet he has no idea what he put you through!"

I wrap my arms around Checkers, and she trembles against my hold. Her protective mother side coming out in full swing, it's a side that all vampires have. It's like the mate bond, but with family. Since vampires can only reproduce once every other century, having a family is rare so when a vampire gets close enough to someone that they become family it gets ugly when someone messes with that family.

It takes a lot for a vampire to go into that mode but it's completely understandable why Checkers did.

I've been getting tormented by this man for practically my entire life now.

"How could you bring him here, Mel?" Checkers screams at Cupid, her hands tightening on my wrists painfully but I don't say anything. "After what he did to her? After what he did?"

"I, I-" Cupid chokes, sounding broken.

"You can't choose who your mate is, Checkers," I tell her, my body unnaturally tense by the closeness between me and Rex.

After all this time, after all this power that I have, why am I still scared of him?

"They're mates? So what! Do you think that gives him a free pass for how long he tortured you? Hell no!" Checkers continues to scream, her voice cracking more with emotion. "I could have lost you because of him!"

I gulp, my eyes flashing with the memory.

It was a particularly hard year, it was the anniversary of my parents' death and I felt useless, no, I felt dead and so I wanted to be. I wasn't going to do anything because I knew that Checkers and Uncle Percy needed me, they loved me, and I didn't want to cause any more pain.

But then Rex found me, crying my eyes out underneath the staircase in out high school. He knew why I was crying.

He knew, and he told me it was all my fault.