THIRTEEN

I get it, I do.
How can you love me when I'm a monster just like you? How can you love what you hate the most? How are you supposed to look at me and see beauty when you see what you'd change about yourself?
I get it, I do.
Because I'd change me too, and I don't love myself, and I'm a monster through and through.
But I love you because despite all that you have a kind soul and a heart so big I wonder if that's where mine drifted off too.
I love you and I'm a monster, and I guess we don't get love- even from other monsters.
-S.N.S

CHAPTER THIRTEEN:
THE PAST

The interesting thing about waking up and having no idea where you are, why your neck hurts, or why one of your best friend's is holding a bag of hot cheetos as they snore loudly in a what looks like a really uncomfortable chair is that you can guess why and where you are.

Why does Cupid have hot cheetos? He hates spices.

Why does my neck hurt, did I bend it too far or fall down the steps again?

Where's my mate? Is Ekon okay, did someone hurt him? If so, I'll kill them. No one touches what's mine and gets away with it.

Why am I in a bed that's not mine?

Where am I?

I take a deep breath and almost choke on the different scents of cleaners and blood.

I'm in the packhouse on the medical floor.

I've been here quite a lot.

As a kid I got pushed off of things, as a teenager I got beat up and shoved into lockers, and as an adult, I got cut up and mauled by people who I'm now helping win a war.

Fantastic life I have lived.

My heartbeat picks up as I try to remember what happened but its all one big blank.

I remember Grandma Tempe winning the water gun fight against the King, I remember walking home and then nothing.

I also remember the Queen and Checkers wanting to turn someone green but I'm hoping that was just a dream.

Was I hurt somehow? That would explain my neck.

I reach my hand up, wincing as I touch a tender spot on my neck.

It's covered in gauze and wrapped so I'm guessing that's a yes on me being injured.

But how?

Was I attacked by a rogue? But what kind of rogue would bite my neck and not tear it out?

There's also an IV in my forearm leading to a drip making cold saline to slowly fill my veins.

I must've been out for a while.

I pull the blanket off of me, my mouth falling open as I look at my body.

Bruises in the shape of hands cover my wrists, my shoulders, one set on each hip, one set on my right thigh, another under my left knee, and two in a ring over each ankle.

I was pinned to the floor by eight or more people, I can't imagine only one or two creatures doing this kind of damage.

If it was only two, I would have been able to take them but instead, they all probably ambushed me.