Choose Me [Jarlo]

“I can’t understand you.”

Arlo angles his head to face the dark-haired sitting beside him, a cigarette wedge between his pale lips, a puff of grey smoke escaping his slightly parted lips. The blond observes him, his mouth pulled to a slight frown as he tries to comprehend his words. He presses his back against the damp wall of the old school building, feeling the chill seep through his jumper. The roof offered enough shelter from the pouring rain outside but it didn’t provide any shelter from the cold gust of harsh winds blowing in their direction. Arlo shivers as he jams his hands inside the pockets of jacket in attempt to warm them, they were growing colder with every passing moment, he could barely feel the tips of his fingers at this point.

“What don’t you understand?” The blond asks, eyes fluttering close as he leans his head back against the wall. The wind blew harshly and Arlo couldn’t suppress the shudder that racked his form.

Pinching the cigarette between his thumb and forefinger, he parts his lips, freeing the cigarette from their hold, “You. I don’t understand you in general.” John answers swiftly, not missing a beat. He didn’t dare glance at the blond, his golden eyes solely focused on the sight of drizzling rain gracing the land with such fury that it matches anger of gods as they beat down on rich, brown soil. He drops the cigarette to the ground, crushing it beneath his feet.

They lapsed into a brief silence as Arlo contemplates the meaning of his words, “Is that so? Well, you’re starting to confuse me now.” He shakes his head as he opens his eyes, his lips quirking upwards into a smirk, “Oh, don’t tell me you’re starting to fall for me.”

The thought itself was hilarious but when John finally faces him, Arlo didn’t know whether to be shocked,amused,or to simply shrug it off as John pulling a prank on him. But from the intensity of John’s gaze, he knew that it wasn’t the case this time. He shudders as another gust of wind billows and moans, rattling the bones of the structure. Perhaps the thought was dark, but Arlo would rather be buried underneath the rubble than face this dilemma.

“You really surprise me.” John states as he props himself against the wall, his gaze shifting away from Arlo, “But yeah, I’m falling for you like an idiot. I hate it.” His gaze returns to the dumbstruck blond, a smirk curling on his lips as he straightened himself. He makes his way in front of Arlo who towers over him with his impressive height, but John was not deterred. He presses his hands against the wall, trapping Arlo between his arms.  

“I like you.”

Arlo blinks once. Then twice. Meeting John's impassive gaze, the blond snorts, rolling his eyes as he pushes John back, putting an arm's length of distance between them. They had quite a history, mostly because of their differences in opinion that had led them to but heads more than once. For it to turn into this weird, offhand friendship, Arlo reflects, was a complete surprise. He crosses his arms over his chest as he levels him with a stern, quizzing look.

“Was I supposed to believe that? Please, you can come up with something more creative than that.” The blond snips.

“What, do you want me to prove it to you then?” John challenges, standing his ground as he meets his glare with unbreakable confidence and determination.

Silence like a thick blanket of wool, falls between them as they fall into a staring contest. The stillness soon lapses when Arlo breaks away from their staring competition, his lips pulled to a taut line as he stares into the horizon blanketed by the downpour of rain. John sighs, somehow he already what would come out from his lips, the blond was predictable like that.

“You know that I really can’t return your feelings, right?”

Silence follows and the pouring rain becomes louder in their ears. The wind howls as it races pass them, flinging their coats in the air, tossing it wildly as they both stood there, with the silence heavy like and cold like a piles of steel stacked on their heads. John sucks in a deep breath as he turns his back on Arlo, his hand reaching into his pocket, drawing out the packet of cigarette and the lighter. He opens it, taking one of the cigarette and wedging it between his lips, his shoulder rising by a fraction of an inch as he inhales lightly before lighting the cigarette. He shoves the lighter back inside his pocket before looking back to Arlo, a smile tugging at his lips as he shakes his head at the blond. He inhales deeply, the smoke burning his throat as it slides down and enters his lungs. He tucks the cigarette between his index finger and middle finger, pulling it away from his mouth and exhales, the smoke dancing in the air before him but eventually dispelling.

“Thought so.” He sighs as he tucks the cigarette between his parted lips again, taking another deep breath, sucking in the smoke. “Despite your stoicism, when you're around him, you somehow manage to look like a lovesick puppy.”

“Shut up. Rei…” He pauses, his eyes glazing over as distant memories rise to the surface. Light green hair dancing with the gentle breeze of summer, a smile that burned brighter the sun, and that vibrant energy—something that Arlo could never wrap his finger on—that always draws him in. “Rei was someone I looked up to, someone I respected. I didn't exactly planned on liking him this way.” He clicks his tongue, annoyance muddled with fondness, seeps in his tone as he speaks of him.

John looks down his feet, suddenly finding the ground more interesting for the time being. However, after staring at the grey concrete for what felt like hours, the  dark haired male straightens himself out. Taking a long, suffering inhale of his cigarette, John releases the smoke afterwards before flicking the cigarette to its watery death.

“I know.” He glances over to Arlo who remained distracted by his own thoughts. An idea pops into his head, stupid and could potentially ruin what they had but John didn't care. Mustering both his courage and confidence, grabs the distracted male by the collar and pulls him towards him.

Arlo snaps out of his thoughts but his reaction wasn't fast enough to push John away. Their lips met for a brief moment before he was shoved back, sending him stumbling for his footing for a few moments. His cheeks feel unbearable warm, his heart pounding against his chest as he stares at John in surprise, the situation not fully registering until a few seconds later.

A few seconds too late.

John had remained rooted to his spot for a brief moment before finally turning away, stepping into the frigid rain, the droplets of water outlining his form as he walks away, never glancing back.

“It's stupid, but you know, I hope that you'd choose me one day.” But his words are drowned away by the pit-patter of the rain and the howl of the cold wind.

Arlo stares at his retreating figure before allowing himself to fall back against the damp wall. A hand covers his lips as he replays the event that occurred just a few moments ago.

“Fuck's sake.” He mutters as he covers his reddened face with his cold hands, “what the hell am I suppose to do with that?” but he finds no answer in the howls of the harsh wind.