Ocean Eyes [arlaine]

i.

Elaine first meets him in the back of the school building. 

Nursing a tiny bird in the palm of her hands, her eyes glow green, a matching colour of the light emanating from her hands. The poor thing attempts to take flight but the harsh collision with the window broke not only its beak, but a wing as well; it hangs limply to the side, and she couldn't imagine the pain it was going through so she saddles on her best smile and attempts to comfort it by making soft, cooing noises as she slowly works on repairing the damage it had done on itself. The bird chirps and preens, Elaine grins to herself as the it nuzzles itself against her palm, seeking the comfort it provides.

Arlo's lips quirk to a tiny smile, an eyebrow arched while his shoulder slouches. He leans against the cool wall, arms folded to his chest as he waits for her to take notice of his presence. His fight with the two troublesome first years (who had the gall to call him pipsqueak of all things—) had just ended and he was on his way to the infirmary when he stumbled upon her. After a few more seconds of waiting, the soft glow of her aura finally fades as she holds her palms open and flat. The bird chirps and hops around on her palms before it finally takes flight, he hears her sigh fondly before a startled gasp escaped her lips and she promptly falls back. Arlo couldn't help but chuckle as he pushes himself away from the wall, straightening his posture before making his way to her.

"Are you alright?" He asks, extending his hand to her. She nods, taking his hand with a tentative smile 

"Ye-yeah! But you're hurt..." Elaine steps forward, her eyes aglow again. Not even thinking twice, she cusps his cheeks into her hands, healing the forming bruises on his left cheek and the shallow cuts decorating his face. "There—"

Being almost the same height as him, she meets his gaze, green staring into a lovely shade of blue that reminds her of cold seas. 

His eyes are beautiful. 

The amused snort snaps her from her train of thought and she immediately realises her blunder: she said it aloud. Flushed down to the neck, Elaine withdraws her hands and squirms underneath his gaze.

'stupid mouth and stupid pretty eyes, this is so embarrassing!'

"Would you be interested in becoming the school's healer?" Grateful for the change of topic, Elaine chances a glance at him, a small smile tugging at the corners of her lips. She really hasn't thought much about it, but, Elaine pauses in her thoughts as she takes another shy glance at the handsome blond, maybe it'd be worth it.

"I think I'd like that...oh, and um, my name is Elaine." She offers her hand, and he takes it without hesitation. His grip on her was firm, she could feel the calluses of his fingers pressing against the palm of her hand.

"Arlo, the current King. Welcome to the Royals."

ii.

Over the course of two years, Elaine comes to know him, little by little. And when Elaine falls, she falls fast and hard and breathless, drowning in the pretty hues of blue eyes that reflects the world around him. 

Oh. 

Oh. 

The butterflies in her stomach flutter and dance, she has never felt this way before. The budding crush she had nurtured throughout the years blossoms, beautiful and warm and gut-wrenching because she cannot look at him without tinctures of pink creeping their way up from the base of her neck to her cheeks and to the tips of her ears. 

"You have it bad." Seraphina tells her as they both lie on her bed, bodies sinking into the fluffy duvets. 

"I noticed." Elaine quips, rolling to her side and curling into a ball, a loud groan escaping her lips. "It sucks."