light carries on [remlo + rei]

soft is the morning light gracing down upon them behind the flitting clouds, gentle wind billowing her short strands of hair into the air. Remi turns her head skyward, a smile on her lips as she cradles the bouquet of flowers in one hand and the other clings to her daughter. she is a bundle of energy, all sky-high dreams and dandelion fluff, pink hair swaying in the breeze as she eagerly keeps up with her mother as they approach the familiar tombstone.

"do you think uncle Rei would like the flowers we brought him today?" she asks, her baby blue eyes twinkling under the light of the sun. Remi smiles, letting go of her daughter's hand, she gingerly transfers the flowers to her hands.

"of course he would, you're the one who picked them after all." the little girl giggles and positively beams at Remi. grasping the flowers snuggly into her thin arms, she races ahead, eager to prop the flowers against cement slab. Remi watches her go, a silent chuckle escaping her lips as she follows after her.

standing by her daughter's side, she wishes for rei to be here with them, there is no doubt in her mind that he would love her daughter as if she was his own. she misses him, despite the passing years, a part of her still grieves his death and it wonders of what could have been's. "why don't you tell uncle rei about your day? i'm sure he'd love to hear about how you saved your friend from bullies."

her daughter's face brightens and she chatters away, detailing the events that led up to it. remi threads her fingers through her daughter's hair fondly, closing her eyes as she retells the story.

"that story again?" a voice says, amusement in their tone. the little girl stops and turns around, blue eyes twinkling as she charges forward with her arms wide open.

"daddy!" arlo chuckles as he picks her up, spinning her around before he holds her to his chest, letting her loop her arms around his neck.

"hey princess, sorry i took too long." he says, giving his daughter a kiss on the forehead. he joins remi, his free arm looping around her waist and he pulls her close, giving her a quick peck on the cheek.

"rei would be so happy to see us." remi whispers softly, resting her head on his shoulder. "i wish he was hear to see us grow up sometimes, i bet he would have teased you non-stop when you were awkwardly pining for me." she adds, a smirk on her lips as she looks up and sees the slight red colouring arlo's cheeks to the tip of his ears, how cute.

"shut up, we don't talk about that." he says, only to receive a light smack on his left cheek, raezel purses her lips together, eyebrows furrowed in her attempt to look mad as she pipes, "daddy, it's rude tell mommy to shut up!"

remi only giggles.

________

arlo lays down the picnic blanket on the lawn before he starts to systematically arrange the pillows and lay down the other blanket. the night breeze is cool and chilly, but the skies are clear and bright, moonlight illuminating the darkness. remi and raezel joins him shortly after, their little girl carrying her own cup of hot chocolate while remi carries their coffee.

arlo smiles as he takes his cup from her hands then he settles down on the middle of the picnic blanket, remi occupies his right and curls up against him, while raezel makes herself comfortable sitting between his legs and leaning against him. remi runs her hand through their daughter's hair, playing with it with a smile.

the night sky above them is peppered with stars, and remi points out the constellations she remembers, arlo occasionally piping up to add little tidbits of information. raezel looked to the sky with wonder in her eyes, fascinated.

"the night sky is beautiful, isn't it, rae?" she asks, looking up. a smile adorns her face, "and exists just to be seen by you."

remi remembers being seven and sitting on her brother's lap. a sky full of stars, silver moonlight, and airy laughter. rei pats her head and points to the sky above them, slivers of moonlight lights up the grin on his lips.

"the universe exists only for us, isn't it cool?" remi laughs, she thought of it as silly, but she cannot deny the happiness that blooms in her chest, he thought of her as special and precious.

and in this moment, she understands it better. the way raezel's eyes are comically wide with excitement, the way her smile grows into a grin as she looks up to her then to the sky with wonder—it's beautiful.

"really, mommy?" she asks, breathless.

"of course."