Braid [Rei & Arlo]

The first thing Rei notices is his hair. Like the first light of sunrise, Arlo's long locks of hair kept in a low ponytail catches his eyes, a soft yellow colour that makes him think of yellow roses and lazy summer days. Rei makes it his mission to befriend him.

His offer of friendship catches the boy off guard, blue eyes widening as he meets his. For a moment, Arlo subjects him to scrutiny before he shrugs and takes it. Rei grins, brilliant and dazzling that in that moment Arlo couldn't help but see him as the sun. He smiles as well, nowhere near as brilliant as his but a smile all the same, it's the most genuine one he's had.

Months in their friendship, Rei finally asks the question he's been itching to ask.

"Can I braid your hair?"

Arlo peeks at him from his book, eyebrows rising to his hairline. He tries to hide the twinkle of amusement in his eyes as he softly shuts his book and places it on the wooden table. "Is that why you're so quiet? I was beginning to wonder if you were constipated."

Rei huffs, the tips of his ears red from embarrassment. He places the book he had been pretending to read down on the table and crosses his arms over his chest. "Can I?"

"I don't see why not." For a moment Arlo could almost swear that Rei was physically glowing. He stands up and walks to where Arlo is, settling behind him. Gingerly, he combs his hand through his hair, marvelling at how soft it is.

"How are you maintaining your hair? It's softer than my sister's when she was younger." He claims as he starts to divide it in sections.

"That's a secret." Arlo responds without missing a beat, leaning in to his touch. "Do you do your sister's hair before you came to Wellston?"

Rei hums as he skillfully braids his hair, pulling at it gently to tighten them together. "Yeah, do you have a hair tie on you?"

Arlo raises his arm, the hair tie looped around his wrist. Rei slips it off and ties his hair, taking a moment to admire it.

"It looks good." Arlo smiles at him, chuckling at how proud he is of his work.

"We should do pigtails next!"

"No."
_____________________

i was possessed with the need to write arlo with long hair and rei braiding it. I've been writing sad shit all the time that it's making me sad too, so here's some fluff.