Chapter Ten

Tom's POV:

Tom's POV:

Lara stood in front of the mirror that hangs on the living room's wall, making her last adjustments as she prepares to leave for her so anticipated date. I normally don't do this, but I can't help but watch her from the couch as she fixes her hair, and notice how casually pretty she looks. She has on one of those bright, summery dresses she buys whenever she visits her family in Rio, and her hair is naturally wavy. She's wearing those shoes with those blocky kinda heels (Excuse me I don't know the different types of women's shoes), and it doesn't take me to stand up to know she is taller than me with those, something that is incredibly attractive.

I catch myself. I find that attractive in other women, which makes so attractive on her as well. But she's still just Lara, my best friend. Nothing more.

Lara turns to me, and even though she does not notice I was observing her looks (and obviously not checking her out), I still feel myself blushing. She doesn't notice that either and she smiles at me. "Tommy, do I look nice?"

My chest tightens. It's not because she called me Tommy, or because she looks really good, and because it is Lara talking to me- no. The tightening on my chest is because I know she looks attractive, and my somewhat brotherly overprotectiveness is coming out, hoping Shawn will keep his hands to himself.

I nod at her and smile back. "You sure do," I say casually. Too casually. Purposely casually?

Friendly casually. Friendly. We're friends. I gotta hype her up. That's it.

She smiles even more at the compliment. "Thanks! I hope Shawn thinks so too."

As if on cue, her phone buzzes, and she reads her new text. "He's here, I'm going," She says, walking forwards to greet me goodbye with a kiss on each cheek. That's how Cariocas greet both in hello and goodbye, and she does so with everyone she considers family, which takes anything romantic out of it. And that's what I am to her- family.

Her pecks on my cheeks leave my skin feeling weird. "Do you think you'll be back for dinner?" I wonder.

She shrugs. "I have no clue. Don't expect me then, you guys go eat without me. I have no clue where Shawn is taking me." She chuckles nervously, heading toward the door.

"Have fun!" I say just after she gives me a little wave and before she closes the door behind her.

Not too much fun though, I think to myself.

I turn back to the script on my hands, trying not to question myself why that thought even crossed my mind.

***

Lara's POV:

I really don't understand how Shawn can look so attractive. From afar as I walked up to him, he already swept my breath away. He is leaning against his black jeep, looking down at his phone, the curls of his hair falling just slightly against his forehead. He is wearing his classic tight black jeans, accompanied by an expensive tank top, allowing his defined arms to take in the sun. I control an involuntary gulp. As I walk closer, he looks up, and a smile breaks onto his face.