Chapter Eighteen

Lara's POV:

Lara's POV:

As I watch Tom speak those words about me, I smile, my heart glowing with warm light. I couldn't help but feel myself overflowing with appreciation for having Tom in my life- how intense his gaze was and how sure his words sounded from his lips as he tried to lift me up. His eyes seemed to glow with flames, ones that made him ferociously want to make me see myself through his eyes, see my worth. All along during my life, whenever one of us lost their internal glow just a little bit, the other would shine their own and share it with each other, making us glow brighter than ever before. We never allowed each other's light to dim, and when it got to that point, we made sure it came out brighter and stronger and warmer than ever.

Tom had finished speaking, but the effect of his words were still lingering in the air like fireflies, little by little settling over me. I was captivated by his eyes, them still radiating to my core the emotion and confidence his words transmitted. My pounding heart seemed to beat stronger as I continued looking into his eyes, allowing myself to bask in their warmth.

And then Tom moved in, and he kissed me.

My body immediately gave in to the gentle kiss, the softness of his lips, the way my body seemed to pulsate at the delicate touch of his lips against mine. It was delicate, but transmitted solace, glittering all over my body.

But as one, like a punch to the stomach, I crashed into the real world and pulled away. My lungs forgot how to breathe, and the guilt lion turned from the corner he hid in and came into view, this time with no intention to merely scratch my skin, but yes to pounce on me and devour me alive, inside out.

"No, no," The words escape my mouth in barely more than a whisper. Without even noticing, I am already on the other side of the room. Tom and I stare back at each other, shock and disbelief written all over our faces. In mere seconds, we went from such a golden warm place to a dark void. My body trembles as everything sinks in, every realization breaking a different part of me.

I kissed my best friend.

I kissed someone else that wasn't my boyfriend.

I kissed someone else who wasn't my boyfriend, Shawn; the same person who a while back doubted me, thinking I should be with the exact guy I cheated on him with.

Because that's what happened: I cheated on Shawn.

I cheated.

My eyes start to burn with tears. My heart weighs down with guilt so strong, my knees buckled under its weight.

"Lara, I'm so sorry, I didn't mean-" Tom halts, words not managing to leave his mouth. My hands shook, my breathing ragged as I looked back at my best friend. The best friend who I had cheated on my boyfriend with. Who I kissed.

"I- I-" I stutter, not managing to untangle the mess my mind was at the moment. To make it worse, as I stared back at Tom another realization settled in my mind, and tears started to fall from my eyes. Did Tom feel something more for me? Did I just hurt my best friend?