Chapter 3

Taylor's pov.

I Biked to the Emergency Room locking my bike outside the hospital. I ran up to the counter where the lady sat.

She looked up at me and rolled her eyes when she saw it was a teenager.

"What did you hurt sweety?" she tried asking sweetly but it was dripping with bitter.

"I didn't hurt anything. I'm here because my mom was rushed here earlier today." I spat back at her.

"Oh! I'm so sorry! What is her name?" the hospital lady asked surprised I was here for my mom.

"Jessica Jones." I replied.

"How are you related to her?" she asked.

"I'm her adopted daughter. Taylor James Stark Jones."

She nodded typing the name in, "She's in room 261. And a man Named Luke cage is in the room. Do you know who that is?"

I nodded, "he's my mom's fiance."

She nodded letting me go run to the elevator to find my mom's room. and I did.

With a short 30 second elevator trip to the second floor I ran out of the elevator dodging doctors and nurses. I finally reached the door. I stuck my hand out, hesitent to open the closed door. I couldn't hear anything going on in the room from outside the door.

I wasn't sure if that was a good or bad sign.

I pushed open the door slowly looking into the room. I saw Luke on a hospital chair his face in his hands. My mom was sleeping the heart minister gave a steady beeping.

"Luke... what happened?" I asked him.

His head snapped up towards me, "Taylor... you came..." he said getting up and hugging me.

I was very close with Luke, he was like the father I never had. Even when he planned to propose to my mom he asked for my permition first.

"I thought you said she was in surgery." I replied worrying.

"She... was.. but they discovered something and had to cancel the surgery half way through... Taylor your mom is pregnant. But.. she is also in a stable coma."Luke explained.

I froze. I wasn't sure whether to celebrate that she was pregnant or to panic that she was in a coma.

Luke sat me down as I started crying.

I think sooner or later I fell asleep and when I woke up Luke wasn't in the room anymore. I heard the beeping of the heart moniter get more rapid. I looked up to hear a solid long beep with no brakes in it.

Mom!

I ran over to her only to have my hand pass through her.

-------------------------------------------------------------

James's pov.

I was in Bio with Hank Pym as my teacher when a voice came over the PTA system.

"Would James Rodgers, Henry Pym, and Sydney Barton come to the principal's office please?" it sounded.

I groaned. What did Fury want now? Couldn't he let us actually get settled into school before calling us for something?

I gathered my supplies and waked to the office half way to the office Pim came up on my right.

"James! What's happening?" he asked.

"I don't know." I replied

"Come on james. If anyone would know it's you. You are cap's, and his top agent's son. If he would tell anyone? It would be you duffus." Syd joined in coming in on my left.

"I really don't know!" I argued back at the two.

They mumbled some "ya, ya's" under their breaths before shutting up.

We walked up to the office to hear another person talking with Director Fury.

I would have usally stopped outside the office and listened a bit but NOOO. Syd just had to barge into the room.

"What do you want Fury?" she spat. She sort of had a burning hatred for Fury

Me and Pim rolled our eyes and walked in a few seconds after her.

"Next time Barton, don't barge in." Fury replied placing his elbows on his desk and cupping his hands together in a listening and serious way.

I looked to the guy he was talking to see Professor X, of THE X-MEN.

"Professor? What are you doing here?" Asked Syd. She went way back with the Professor. 2 years ago she was in the place where Taylor was now. She was the daughter of a superhero and didn't know it. Apperently Hawkeye and Mockingbird were told she had died at birth. Apparently Fury put her with a SHIELD agent because she was a mutant. By the time her mutant abilities emerged Fury had forgotten about her. That's where the Professor came in. He came to her and took her away to train her in her powers. And did a good job at that. Sooner then later Wolverine spilled the beans after he caught the wiff of "Barton" scent on her. She then reunited with her parents who had found out what Fury had done. That's why she hated him.

Also probably why she was really effected by Taylor. Taylor reminded her of herself.

"He's here because a new mutant came up on Cerebro." Fury explained.

"And why is this Mutant so important?" Pim asked.

Ya... Why? A new mutant popped up every day now. Why was this on important?

"Because... This is Taylor... It seems like her mom almost getting killed and put into a Coma really shocked her and woke up her mutant ability." The Professor explained.

"And that means Kang's probably around and or close to getting her." Fury continued farther.

"What are we suppose to do? You kind of blew it up by having Maria expel her!" exclaimed Syd.

"Maria over reacted. We have contacted Taylor's to be Step father and already talked to him about all this. Aparrently, he is a superhero, like Jessica Jones was once." Fury explained.

"Who is he?" Pim asked.

"Luke Cage." Fury said plainly like it was butter on bread.

"The Luke Cage? The one with impenitrable skin?" I asked.

Fury nodded.

"So what's the plan?" I asked.

Fury opened his mouth to respond when a quake shook the school. Ok not jsut the school. The entire freaking city.