Chapter 13

Demi's P.O.V -

I woke up and Lexi was still asleep at midday which very rarely happened. I checked her breathing and it was slower than what it should be and her pulse was very slow.I decided to call the hospital as if anything ever happened to her I would never forgive myself. 

An ambulance arrived soon after I called the hospital and took me and Lexi to the hospital. I sat in the white vehicle watching my little sisters chest slowly rise and fall as her oxygen maskk assisted her in what she should be able to do without any help. Breathe. How could I have let this happen? 

We arrived at the hospital about 10 minutes later and we slowly walked into the childrens ward. I couldn't help but notice the vast amount of young mums holding their crying children. I continued to look around until I saw a man ive known for a while now. A man I have been the girlfriend of for almost 2 years yet I didn't know he was in hospital. I'm a terrible girlfriend and an even worse sister. 

I didnt get chance to look at him long before one of the doctors called my name.

"Lovato?" He shouted along the clean white halls whose walls were smeared with invisible sadness and despair. I shot my hand up and briskly walked towards the doctor.

"Alexa's breathing has settled so around a normal rate and her pulse is gradually increasing so we see no need for her to stay overnight. She can go home in an hour after we have done some final checks but first we need to have a chat about Alexa." He said.

I must admit this did worry me but there can't be anything I don't know, surely. I was wrong.

"We know that Alexa passed out due to exhaustion. We believe this to be the case of her not eating enough and getting the neccesary energy from her food. We believe her to have an eating disorder. We also noticed many scars and cuts on her body. Some Years old but some just days old. We believe these are due to self harm."

He paused for a second so took the time to interject.

"Yes I know all this and we are in the process of recovery as we speak so if that is all. " I said as I stood up and walked towards the entrance anxiously wanting to know why my boyfriend was here but the doctors called me back.

"Actually miss Lovato that is not all. We found traces of androhydroxidemine in her stomach. This is a drug that has recently hit the market. It is used for people who do not want to feel the feelings that they are experiencing, essentially a numbing drug." He said, slowing down the last sentence or two just to help me understand.

I stood there clueless. She is sounding more and more like me with every issue I hear and that makes me very worried.

The doctors walked away after they told me I could go and see Lexi in her room. In all honesty I don't really want to go and see her in one way but I really want to aswell but I'm unsure of what to say.

I walked into her silent room and slowly edged towards her bed.

"Hey baby girl are you okay? " I said softly but got no response.

I repeated the question until I got worried. I walked the other side of her bed and before I could do anything the heart monitor machine flat lined and half a dozen doctors rushed in with 17 ushering me out the door.

The last thing I heard was "she's having a cardiac arrest"

My last thought is "what if she dies?"