Chapter 7

Chapter 7
One night of freedom

"Hi." He says shyly. "This is the eleventh room I've been in, just looking for you guys. How do you manage to know which one is yours when they all look the same?" He steps over Swardiantalina's body lying on the doorway as he walks in, heading towards Rosaline.

"Adinah, meet my boyfriend." Rosaline says with reddish cheeks and gestures to him, twisting her leg.

"You mean shirtless guy from the party is your boyfriend?" They both laugh at that. "Oh, I'm sorry I didn't-"

"No it's fine. I'm Sola by the way." He extends his arm.

"Right, yeah. Nice to meet you again Sola." I rub my hand on the dress and return the gesture but suddenly remember what happened the last time he introduced himself. "I'm sorry about what happened at the party, I just had to...go." I can't really say more because I'm not sure whether or not Rosaline has told him about the letters.

"It's fine, I know why you had to dash." Oh, he does?

"Where are they love?" Rosaline thankfully speaks and tugs Sola's arm and he chuckles.
He gives her the same messenger bag she had last night and she... squeals? Yes she does, kissing him repeatedly on the cheek and uttering thousand thank you's. I still haven't grasped just what is happening but I fake a smile anyway.

"Come Adinah, I got these made in the colony especially for you." She says cheerfully and I peek inside the bag.

"Brownies!" Happiness builds up inside me. "I forgive you for that trick you just played and everything you'll ever do."

"Not just brownies," She wiggles her eyebrows with a cheeky smile. "A bottle of rum too." She dumps the bottle on my chest.

I place it back into her arms. "No." I state.

"Yes." She puts it on my chest again.

"No!" I throw it to her and as expected, she catches it. "I'm not gonna drink that. What do you think will happen when the King hears of this? Did you think about that?" Sola groans as he pulls Swardiantalina's unconscious body away from my doorway. "This has gone too far Rosaline. You shouldn't have drugged the witch to start with."

"Adinah, look at us. Just listen to yourself." She sighs and places the bottle on the bed then walks to the window, facing away from me. "Our lives aren't even ours. From the moment we're born, we have absolutely no control and when we finally turn eighteen, we become slaves. No matter what we're chosen to do, we're just vassals." She faces me and walks in my direction. "But we get just one night of freedom tonight. Don't you want to know what it felt like back then? Back in the days we only get to hear or read about? Before you die, don't you want to know Adinah? Tonight you get to live for the first and possibly last time. Tell me that deep down you don't want to feel it and I promise I won't make you drink anything."

I smile at how passionate she is. "Fine, but just two or three glasses." Only to find out later that I didn't need the third one.

"Phew.. Thank God you said yes. I was gonna force you if you said no after I put that much effort into convincing you." We smile and she pulls me to the bed, giving me one brownie and although she is right, I still think this is a bad idea. Sola soon joins us and he also takes one.