Chapter 6

I'll be updating chptr 6,7 & 8 please be sure to read them in order.

Chapter 6
The roots

A big thank you to jayshree16 for the beautiful artwork.
If you wish to share any of your artwork or make a cover for me I'd be more than honoured, so please just PM me.
❤❤❤

I know for certain that he's a man. He's wearing a navy blue robe with his back facing me, until his bald head turns and his bartered black lips part to show long,crooked brown teeth with repulsive saliva stretching between them.

"The roots. Let the roots grow and we shall meet." He says in a shaky gravelly voice which causes the ground beneath me to resonate, not failing to send panic through me as his white eyes become completely black and my breath quickens.

He fades from view as I run through the dark, cloudy wilderness, tripping over the very long white nightgown I'm holding up but stop when I see a brightly lit room. The light lures me in and the old door creaks the moment I push it, revealing the roots. Intertwined, they elongate and more grow onto the already existing ones until the light I saw earlier is overran by the black roots. The darkness I'm in is suddenly filled with a foul-smelling odor, causing my hand to quickly cover my nose and the dark roots crawl towards me almost touching my feet.

I inhale deeply, clutching the sheets before the white walls come into view to reassure me that it was just another dream.
But as usual, my eyes are wide open and I'm drenched in my own perspiration while my heart pounds violently in my chest. Although this dream is different from the one I've been having for months now, it still has the same effect on me.

With a heavy heart, I clean myself up in the shower and all I want is to break down into tears as I fail to forget yesterday's occurrence. He wants me to go along with him as he does that heinous act. But why me?

There is a voice over the intercom again. "Breakfast shall be served in five minutes..." I tune out because I already know what he'll be saying next, he'll be threatening us. I've come to know that the voice is Jonathan's.

Rosaline is sitting next to me in the dining hall with a distressed look on her face and guilt creeps on me knowing that I was selfish enough to tell her about the King's words last night.

"Smile." She mouths and I give her a sad one, which lasts only for a second.

The royal table is unoccupied today, my best guess is that they are out somewhere sharpening their fangs for tomorrow and the thought itself makes me want to throw up.

"The King is not in the dining hall  today."

Oh Jonathan, you're so wise! Thank you for bringing to light such a deep secret, we appreciate the information because we're blind and can't see that the mad king is not here. If only I could say it aloud. "We'll be back tomorrow morning because I'm also joining him in a few minutes but our absence doesn't mean your misbehavior. You may all leave when you're done eating but remember, I'm leaving eyes and ears all over the castle." With that warning, the big-nosed vampire walks out.

After promising to see each other during lunch, Rosaline and I headed to our separate rooms and currently I'm trying to sleep but a very bouncy Rosaline enters.
"I can't believe you're in bed. Get up." She says already pulling the covers off my body.
"Let me guess, you didn't celebrate your eighteenth birthday right?"

"Who celebrates their death Rosaline?" I try to pull the covers up again but she throws them to the floor and laughs, plopping down on the bed.

"Why on earth did you come into my room Rosaline? Distracting Swardiantalina won't always work you know that? And if you want to die that badly, just jump off something." Instead of laughing like I expected her to, she gives me a smile that doesn't reach her eyes.

"My entire life until recently, no one has ever cared so much about me. It was always just me and even when I tried to make friends, none of them ever came so close. What you and Matilda have, I always wanted that with someone but no one could ever reach my soul and I know we'll probably die soon so I want to thank you. Thank you so much for making my last days mean something to someone else." I believe this side of Rosaline is barely ever seen by anyone but even though this conversation is important for the both of us, I've learned that she herself doesn't have faith in whoever is writing the letters if she thinks we'll be dying soon. I move to hug her but she shifts.

"Don't, I'll probably cause a flood with my tears if you do that." I chuckle while she titters and I think back to the first time I saw her, when she entered the kitchen and her presence disturbed me to how much I've come to care about her.
"Anyway, we have to celebrate our birthdays Adinah. And stop worrying about Swardiantalina, she pretty much let me in."

My eyebrows shoot upwards, "She what?"

She forces her laughter in, resulting in a snorty sound from her nose. "It's true, you can go look. She's at the door." Rosaline is probably seing things.

I literally jump at the opportunity to see the angelic Swardiantalina as I hurtle my body out the door.

Eyebrows shoot higher than before, until they can't go any higher and my eyes feel like they'll soon be out of their sockets as my heart speeds.

"Oh my God!" My two hands cover my agape mouth but fall to my sides when words push through my mouth again.

"Oh my God, Rosaline you killed her?"
On the ground lies the pursy body of Swardiantalina, blood on the cutaneous upper lip. "Do you think this is funny Rosaline? You killed a person!" I lash out when her laughter fills the air.

"Oh my goodness Adinah... thank God I captured that..... this was the best plan I ever came up with." She says in between laughter while clutching her stomach. I close my eyes, move my trembling fingers to her neck and exhale audibly through the mouth when I feel her pulse. "If I were you, I'd stop laughing Rosaline. It's not funny." She doesn't stop though.

"Oh Adinah, you amuse me." She tries to steady herself and wipes the tears away. "That's not even blood, it's ketchup." She tosses her head back. "She's not dead, I just drugged her. She'll be fine by morning." She says nonchalantly, still smiling.

"I hope she broke her neck." I say with detestation still looking at Swardiantalina and Rosaline laughs.

"Just a minute ago you were screaming when you thought she was dead but now look at you." Her eyes shine with amusement.

"Oh, just shut up Rosaline. That better be the last time you played such a trick on me." She raises her hands in surrender.

"Fine, but it wasn't entirely my idea it was partly his." My eyes follow hers to fall on a rather familiar face.

"Him?"

Hey guys, thank you sooo much for reading.

So, today I was watching the fault in our stars for the hundredth time and I cried... for the hundredth time. 😟😟😢😢.
Ugh Augustus😢😢(sniffles), I'll probably cry my lungs out again the next time I watch it.
😢😢😢😭😭😭😭😧😧

And I know I'm not the only one who cries when watching it so don't even try to deny it.