Chapter 14

Queen Fiona above.

Chapter 14
Hunger

"What is being celebrated again?" I turn to look at Rosaline as we descend the newly polished stairs with the smell of pine trees and licorice heavily flooding my nose, the both of us  constantly dodging the maids who are busier than bees as they buzz through the castle, preparing for another function.

"Gestation." She answers and snorts. "I can't believe that a party is being thrown to celebrate the fact that it's been two months since teenage girls were unwillingly impregnated." She let's out another laugh and tosses her head back.

"Well at least one of us finds this funny Rosaline. This is not the kind of behaviour to be tolerated, we've been slaves for so long that it has even started to entertain us."

She breathes out with a smile and I know I won't like whatever comes out of her mouth when she makes that mocking face with squinted eyes and a pout. "Oh Adinah, perhaps you'll be Moses and the rest of us will be the Jews saved from the bad, horrible, tyrannical King Aharon." She sighs and her features turn serious when she speaks again in a lowered voice, pulling the both of us to a halt. "We both know the only way we're getting out of here is if the care-group stays true to their word and we can only hope that it happens sooner than later." I nod in agreement but even if the chance was to present itself here and now, I would never go anywhere without Matilda.

Weeks have passed since they were trammelled in God knows where and we've been sneaking out, running like headless chickens whenever someone gave us a lead. So far we've been hitting dead ends and both my nights and days have blended into one state of sleeplessness while I toss and turn in bed, wondering if my sister is still breathing, if she ate or if the room she's in is bright enough. Matilda has always been afraid of  the dark and dim lights.
"Dinah, just look at the shadows, everything comes to life in this darkness." That night she had slept in my bed after jumping out of hers, snuggled in my arms at the age of sixteen.

"It's a 20 watts bulb Matty, don't be so dramatic." Silently, I had loved how her hair tickled my bare arms and how by morning she had occupied three quarters of the bed. Matilda had felt safe then and I had been the one to make her feel that way, even if it was from the shadows. I was there.

"I can't believe we're being forced to watch this." I whisper to Rosaline when the guard opens the grant door for us. Just like the first time, the hall is full of vampires who are always in search of a reason to look pretty in their lavishly glamorous clothing and vividly glistering make-up.
The women's heavy gowns, I can almost feel them weighing me down from across the room with all those jewels covering them. Their candy coloured hair can not go unnoticed, styled in ways that would definitely make the bride of Frankenstein proud. Flowers, feathers and colourful bows threaded through their hair like people teleported right out of the Victorian era. The sight in front of me would've been mistaken for a picture in my history textbook.