Chapter 15

Chapter 15
The Bloody "N"

Rosaline above.

"What's going on here?" A deep whisper comes between Rosaline's and my head, forcing my neck to snap in its direction only to be met with, Lin.

"Nothing." I say hastily and gulp as I try to steady my drumming heart, though that probably won't help the situation with Rosaline's eyes bulging out like they are being pushed from the inside.

"Adinah, right?" He pauses and I nod, praying that he doesn't look at Rosaline whose hands are now slightly shaking. "Remember  the first time we met? I told you I'd been here for long and I know these things, I know about the letters you've been receiving." My heart hammers, heavily crashing against the ribcage and I hope it isn't as loud as I think.
Death, death is the punishment we'll get for treason and the letter which is now wet in my clammy hand shows so many details, there's no way of denying anything.
"I've seen all this before, I've been keeping my eye on you and I know who you all are. The letters, the tattoos, your will to..."
Suddenly he holds his tongue like he almost said more than he needed to but I don't care about that, my focus is on Rosaline. The stingy transparent liquid I've seen so many times forms in hers eyes and it's only a matter of time before she loses the little control she has.

"I- I don- I don't know what you're talking about." The treacherous voice failing me, I stutter and instantly wish I had kept quiet.

With a raised eyebrow, only a half of his lower lip curls up and he releases a quiet breathy laugh.
"You humans amuse me, truly. I'm here to help so you can trust in me."
Can I?

"I really don't know what you're talking about." How I wish the paper in my hand would just vanish. Lin was in the garden talking about the mad King being overthrown and maybe that is a good enough reason to trust him. Maybe he's on our side.

"Look at your friend," He glances over at Rosaline and back at me. "She's terrified out of her skin and you still want to say that? When you need my help, because I know you will, come find me, I'll be waiting." Slightly bent with hands behind his back, he walks off, giving away his deceptive smile to anyone who cares to look at him.

Rosaline is a mess, although Lin gusted the fire in her eyes as easily as the wind would a candle flame, it's agonizing to watch the sadness slowly build up to melancholy in her beautiful grey eyes. "Juice?" Softly, I offer and now it's my turn to pull her body to the table, right next to the four pregnant girls who are sitting way too comfortably on a white suede couch.  The matron would be glad to know that she was right. Being forced into pregnancy does make you royalty after all.
"You see child, being pigheaded won't get you anywhere but hanging on the pole. Lose that attitude and you will be just like them." I can almost hear her whispers in my head.

"He won't say anything to anyone Rosaline. I told you what he was saying in the garden right? Besides, he said he'd wait for us, he said he's going to help." She shakes her head, a sign that my words mean nothing to her, the worry radiating off her is slowly falling on me and through my pours, it's getting to my system.

"He's betraying his own King, isn't there some rule or custom about how vampires can't betray their Kings." Like always, she's right. I'm not sure where but I also heard that because of some ritual, vampires can't do whatever Lin is planning to do.

"Look, I know I may be wrong but I trust that he will help us. Maybe not for our sake but for his selfish reasons." I'm trying so hard to persuade her but who will convince me? I don't believe anything I'm saying, all I want is for Rosaline to smile and breathe for a minute.