Chapter 30

Chapter 30
                  The choice

The baby's wail is melancholic, the shrill cry flows straight to the heart and pierces it, leaving behind bleeding holes and I suppose that's why everyone on the clearing is quiet.
Not even the birds flying above or the squirrels on the trees surrounding us dare to make a sound.

I finally lift my head from it's drooping position.
To my left stands Aharon who is rocking the lamenting baby and on his side is Sophia, holding a stranger's hand who is also holding another's, then another's making a huge chain.

Something urges me to look behind and when I do, his face frightens me still, black lips part to reveal brown teeth, the disgusting smile seems to be adding life to his dead eyes at least.

The Oracle.

"To save one, you shall lose one," he recites and nods in a completely different direction towards which I snap my head only to see Matilda, Rosaline and Sola all standing at the edge of the cliff.

"Please," Matilda begs, tears streaming messily down her face like she's been crying for a while now.
"Please Adinah, please."

No one spells it out to me but I know I should choose. It's obvious on all their faces.

Something pushes me in the crying baby's direction though I wish to go to my friends and just when I hold her tiny body, her face lights up in a cute toothless smile.

The moment is however ruined by a wail.
Slowly, the arrows fly in the air hitting my friends one by one, their bodies flying down the cliff and that's when I start screaming, wishing I had made a different choice.

I jump out of bed to find someone looming over me and I send my fist to their face.

"What the fuck? Just chill it dressmaker, are you really insane?" He hisses.

My eyes adjust to the light and Aharon's frowny face comes into view. "What was that?" He questions irritably rubbing his cheek.

I breathe slowly and adjust my sitting position so that my back is against the headboard before speaking, " No, what was that? What were doing hovering over me like that while I was sleeping?"

"Sleeping?" He scoffs.
"You weren't sleeping, you were screaming bloody murder like you wanted to wake the entire castle up."

"Well, it worked didn't it?" I mutter under my breath and look down at my hands.

"Did you say something?"

I ignore him and reach for the glass of water but it's not the bedside table.

"Yeah, I said thank you for taking care of your furniture," I reply dryly.

"You think you have a smart mouth don't you?" He asks and I just shift on the bed, my gaze still down because I'm just too tired to deal with this- with him.
"What were you dreaming about?" He asks nonchalantly.

"You," I blurt out, hoping my honesty sounds like sacarsm and it works because glares at me for a while before walking back to his bed.