Chapter 31

Chapter 31
Horseshit

Well, I couldn't help myself :)

Rosaline

Rosaline, Matilda and Sola

Hi, I'm still alive and I'm sorry it took me this long to tell you that.
I'm back at the castle and how that happened is a long story we shall talk about when we meet, which is soon.
Soon, we'll all be together again.

Love
Adinah

My heart leaps but I read it again and again and again just to make sure that it's real and I know it is when Matilda rips it out of my hand.
She's okay. She's alive.

"So, how come I don't see an army preparing to get her?"
I ask Lalan and I know she already read it because she's the one who handed it to me, unfolded might I add.

"What do you mean? Adinah doesn't sound like someone who wants to escape from that place from what I just read."

Lalan is so funny her jokes don't even make me laugh.

"What?" I take one step closer to her desk where she is still rocking her chair like this is another boring Tuesday.
From the corner of my eye I can see Matilda squashing the piece of paper in her hand.

"Where in that letter did you see the words, 'please help me'?"

My body heats up and something tells me I should just pitch my fist to her jaw and dislocate her dentition, a few missing teeth then she'll stop faking that smile she kept throwing Adinah when she was here.

"Lalan, if you're joking, it isn't funny. Let's get to business," I manage to say but her disinterested look as she nibbles on her pen is slowly getting to me.

"I'm not risking my people for someone who will not come, I would stop wasting my time too if I were you. I know Adinah has decided to stay there."

That's stinky poppycock!
Adinah would never choose to leave us, she wouldn't choose to stay in that hell hole.

"Oh, I'm sorry Lalan. I didn't realise she had to beg even through a letter. Should I tell her to send imprints of her knees to prove that she was begging next time? Given that she'll still be alive, that is," I argue with a raised voice and she stares.
Shag that.

"If you're willing to stand here and shout the entire day, I can just leave you with the office while you freely do that but if you want to have a mature conversation then sit and shut your mouth," she says it so calmly that shouting again would make me look like a mad woman so I look behind me to see Matilda approaching to sit down as well.

"So?" I ask impatiently when she stays quiet and stare at the wall behind us and she lets out a heavy breath before speaking.

"As you already know, the prophecy tells us that there is only one girl who will be able to have a child with Aharon right?"
She asks and we nod.

"Okay, so?" I push and she just stares at me.
"No." I shake my head when I realise what she is insinuating. "Uh-uh. It's just not possible. Nope," I say still shaking my head.
Uh-uh, there must be a mistake.
"How do you know that it's her?"

"Her mark is in the prophecy Rosaline," she answers and I laugh dryly.

"Lalan, that's horseshit. You know you could've missed a single dot and the girl in the prophecy could still be in a womb right now?"

She sighs in agitation. "It's not just that, it's her birthday too. I confirmed with the hospital records."

"For how long have you known?"
My palms itch and I rub them together before drumming my fingers on her table.

"From the moment she got her mark." She finally stops rocking her chair and puts a concerned mask on her face. "If I had known that it would play out like this, I would've increased the security, her training period so she could-"

"But you wouldn't have told her, or anyone of us because oh, look at that! God died and you were the next in line! You know what Lalan? You're a snake. A sick, venomous snake hidden behind that oh-I'm-a-good-leader-with-the-key-of-freedom-around-my-neck-so-follow-me bullshit," I spit out and she looks taken aback.

"Now, listen to me. I don't care who you think you are but I'm going to get Adinah. With or without your help." I rise from the chair still holding her gaze.
"And no one is stopping me."
I finally look at Matilda and she stands.

"Don't do this Rosaline. Adinah has chosen her path and she has protection, something you will lose the moment you step out of this territory," she warns.

"How are you so sure that she chose to stay there? I swear you sound like someone who was with her this entire time we all thought she was missing," I accuse and she glares.

"Listen, you're overstepping your boundaries and not that it's any of your business, the Oracle saw it, he told me and that's why I'm-"

"Oh, just stop it, Lalan. Don't pretend to care. We're talking about the very same Oracle whom she had gone to meet the night she went missing. Isn't it a shame that he can see her choices, what's inside her head but not the future? He was right there Lalan, she was taken right outside his house."
My voice rises and tears build up in my eyes but I blink them away, right before silence blankets us.

"Well, all that doesn't matter now, does it?" I say breaking the silence and swallow the lump in my throat. "If it's okay with you, I'd like to have the new map."

"Rosaline, cross that border and you're as good as dead," she calls out when I open the door and I just look over my shoulder to see her already standing.

Like she cares.

A/N
Aahhh, impulsive decisions. Rosaline and I have that in common at least. I swear I'm the most impulsive person I know LOL.

Anywayyyy, this book is coming to an end in about five chapters or so and it's kinda sad because it feels like I'm letting the characters go or something :(

However, I've published a new book "There's More To Love Than Holding Hands" and this one is teen fiction laced with a bit of humor. Please check it out if you haven't, your support means a lot to me.

Stay awesome and thank you.
❤❤❤