33. Once and For All

I stared down at him for a long while, trying to process all of my emotions at once, but the overpowering feeling of relief reminded me of the pain he had caused to everyone I loved. It wasn't until a hand was placed on my back that I remembered I wasn't alone.

"Harry," Luke murmured. I looked up at him and shared a look. I thought Luke may have been angry with me for taking his father away before he could know him, but when Luke's mouth finally broke out into a smile and he pulled me in for a hug, I knew I had done the right thing. He held me close and repeated in my ear over and over, "We have each other now."

I buried my head into his shoulder and let myself cry for a moment, but I knew this wasn't completely over. Rosie was still in the other world. Suddenly, I heard a familiar cooing sound and pulled back from Luke. Kayla had pulled herself up to her feet and was reaching out desperately with her little arms. She was finally free of Samuel's control. I ran over to scoop her up in my arms and away from the edge of the cliffside. Her body curled into mine as it always had done so well. I missed holding her so much. She reached up to touch my cheek and despite the tears in my eyes, I was smiling widely.

Luke and Grace approached us, her arm around Luke for support. "Hey," Grace's soft voice said. I looked over at her. "What about Rosie?"

"I'm going to get her back," I said certainly, glancing at Luke with a small nod, but his eyes weren't meeting mine. "What's wrong?"

"I'm still weak," he muttered. "It's not always easy to send people to that world. When Samuel had control of me, he was strong enough to send you there and back to see him. He was the link between this world and the other. Now he's gone, I don't know if I have the strength to bring you both back."

"B-but we have to try," I stuttered. "I'm not losing her, Luke."

"If you get stuck, you won't get to raise Kayla. She'll lose both of her parents. You know exactly how that feels, Harry."

I stuttered, but no words could come out. I stared at Rosie's unmoving body and felt my chest constrict until I could barely breathe. I couldn't imagine a life without her. Knowing she was there with Samuel created a new course of anger inside of me. I would not live with myself if I knew I had subjected her to that eternal hell with the man who made her life torturous. Kayla squirmed in my arms until she was comfortable again. Our eyes met and I couldn't help but smile. She had so much of her mother in her. She was strong and feisty and just beautiful, but I had to leave her.

"You'll look after her, Grace, won't you?" I asked, looking up at Kayla's godmother. She looked shocked and unsure of what to say. I gave her an insistent look and eventually Grace knew she couldn't decline.

"Of course," she croaked.

I nodded and pressed a kiss to Kayla's forehead. She let out a small giggle I told myself I would never forget the sound of. The tears finally escaped as I softly handed her over to Grace. Kayla seemed unsettled for a moment before recognising Grace and moving closer into her.

I wiped under my eyes and took a deep breath. Luke was already looking at me when I turned to him. "Are you sure about this, Harry?" he asked.

It was the hardest decision I had ever made, but deep down I knew Rosie and I were meant to spend the rest of time with each other, even if it meant in the other world. I gave a small nod before shuffling over to Rosie and lying beside her. Luke crouched down beside me. He met my gaze and for the first time I noticed the tears in his eyes.

"If you can only bring one person back, you bring Rosie back, okay?" I asked. "Promise me, Luke."

He hesitated for a long while. I gave him a strong look and eventually he whispered, "Okay."