30. You Have Nothing

I had no idea how long I sat on the hard ground, letting the wave of emptiness and regret fall over me. After a long while, I sensed someone approaching me. I slowly looked up to find Grace stepping into the house, her facial expression hard and cold.

"I knew you'd be here," she mumbled. "You wanted more of Luke, did you?"

I stared at her for a few long moments until I finally let out the rest of my sadness. With my body curled up tight on the floor, I cried down into my knees and rocked myself back and forth. I didn't want to think about Harry's body lying cold and alone in the basement, but it was all my mind could remind me of. The emotional pain turned physical and each bone in my body ached with sorrow. I deserved to die, not Harry.

After a long while, I eventually felt a hand on my shoulder, but I didn't react. Slowly, I was pulled into Grace until I was sobbing uncontrollably into her. She tried to soothe me the best that she could, but nothing could take away the emptiness I was feeling.

Grace finally pulled back from me and swiped the hair from my eyes, pulling out a tissue to gently wipe at my face. She gave me her warming smile that seemed to make everything tolerable, but this time it didn't. I didn't deserve it.

"What's wrong?" she asked, holding my face in her hands.

I took in a breath, but I couldn't form the sentences I wanted to say. My throat had closed up and my tight chest was making it difficult to breathe.

"Hey, it's alright. Just take your time," Grace reassured me.

I shook my head. We didn't have time, not with Samuel having Kayla. I extended an arm and shakily pointed to the open basement door. Grace looked confused, but as I insistently pointed to it, she slowly got up and wandered down the stairs. The light flickered on and I heard Grace audibly gasp.

"Oh my God!" she cried.

I curled up tighter, knowing exactly what she was witnessing. However much I squeezed my eyes shut, I could still see their bodies lying there; my husband and my friend just gone.

"Rosie!" Grace shouted up the stairs. "Come here quick!"

My heart stopped. I got up to my feet and bounded down the stairs, but Harry was still pale and motionless on the floor. My eyes filled with new tears.

"It's okay, Luke," Grace said, her soft tone a little shaky. She had tucked her jacket underneath Luke's head. His eyes were open slightly and his chest still moving. "Take your time."

"Sorry," was all that he could whisper. A few tears ran from his eyes. I slowly made my way over to him and he looked up at me. The sadness in his eyes told me he truly meant what he was saying. I sat on my knees beside him and took his hand.

"It's okay," I murmured, wiping a few of my own tears away. "It wasn't your fault."

"I was...weak," he croaked before bursting into a coughing fit. Grace ran her fingers through his hair to calm him. "I-I couldn't fight him...he was too strong for me."

I squeezed his hand tightly. "He's superhuman," I agreed. "And now he has Kayla."

"What?" Grace exclaimed. "He's...got her?"

I nodded shakily. "He got into her mind and stole her away to make her like him."

"Well, where are they?" she asked. "We need to go after them!"

Suddenly Luke shifted. He tried to sit up, but was too weak. "No," he argued, shaking his head. "That's what Samuel wants you to do."

"But we can't just sit here," I said. "She's my baby."