Epilogue

We stepped into the church, the heels of my shoes echoing through the room. I had a hold of Harry's arm as he held Kayla on his hip. Harry wore a sharp suit and shiny shoes, but he looked sad. I squeezed his arm just as we approached the vicar. A few people we had invited began to arrive and take their places at the pews.

"Welcome," the vicar said, reaching out his hand to me. I took it and gave a small nod. "Please take a seat."

We turned to sit at the nearest pew. Harry had sat Kayla on his lap, fixing her gown and making sure she hadn't dribbled down it. I tried catching Harry's gaze, but he kept his head low. "Hey," I said softly. "What are you thinking?"

Harry hesitated for a long moment. He finally let out a long sigh. "I wish Luke was here."

I rubbed Harry's arm to comfort him. "So do I."

He opened his mouth to continue, but was interrupted by Grace approaching us out of breath. She collapsed into the pew beside me and sighed. "I'm so sorry I'm late, guys."

Harry gave a small nod and fell silent once again. Kayla could sense something was wrong with Harry and began to get fidgety. I helped her stand on her dad's lap to face him. Harry looked back up and he finally broke out into a smile as Kayla placed her hands on his cheeks and touched Harry's nose with hers. He had done it to her so often as it always made her laugh. Now she wanted to return the favour. And it worked. Harry let out a small chuckle which caused Kayla to squeal and do it again, rubbing her small nose on his. Harry laughed and held her close, grateful for the beautiful daughter we were raising together.

The ceremony finally began. "Welcome everyone," the vicar announced. "We are here today to-"

The back doors to the church flew open, interrupting the vicar. "Sorry," someone apologised, slowly making their way down the aisle to the front pew with us. We finally looked up to see Luke stood over us, a beaming smile on his face as he clutched tightly onto his walking stick.

Harry's face lit up. "We thought you were too ill to make it," he said.

"I wasn't going to let Kayla have her christening without her other godparent here," Luke replied. Harry grinned as Luke sat down between Grace and I, knocking me lightly with his elbow. I gave him a wide smile and squeezed his hand. He winked at me before putting an arm around Grace and pulling her close into him. Grace had nursed Luke back to health for months after he almost died bringing us both back from the other world. She never once gave up on him, even when it looked as though he wouldn't make it. He never fully recovered, but that didn't stop him from living his life.

After the vicar has read a passage from the Bible, Luke, Grace, Harry and I were all invited to stand at the front. I looked out at the very few people we had invited: a couple of parents and kids from Harry's old boxing club, the midwife during Kayla's birth and Lydia and Alan who Harry had visited to know more about his parents. They held each other's hands tight and beamed up to us. Lydia gave a small nod to Harry who let his face relax into a smile. I held Harry's arm, which caught his attention.

"I know you wanted your parents here today," I whispered, "but look at the new family we have. Kayla is the luckiest girl in the world. She has people who care about her so much. I know we won't let her grow up the way we had to. There will be no more pain and suffering because we have each other. I love you, Harry, and I love Kayla. My immortal family."

Harry smiled at my word and leaned down to kiss me softly. He hummed against my lips, causing me to smile.

"People of God, will you welcome this child and uphold them in their new life in Christ?" the vicar asked.

Harry pulled back and we shared a look full of love and trust. "We will," we both said. "Forever."

The End