10. Come Back To Me

Rosie

After finally getting Kayla to sleep, I crept out of her room and slid into bed. It felt empty without Harry with me, but I was able to drift in and out of sleep without him. I couldn't explain it, but for some reason the dreams I'd had since Samuel's death had stopped. No more running away from a dangerous force. Finally, I could sleep easy. I didn't know why, but I was just grateful that I was free from them.

I had just dozed off when I heard the front door slam downstairs. My natural instincts were to protect, but I calmed down when I heard Harry's familiar muttering downstairs. I laid in bed listening to the sounds, but gradually the muttering turned into talking which grew into sudden yelling. Thumps and smashes could be heard downstairs. I quickly scrambled out of bed, pulling Harry's hoodie over my head before darting down the stairs. Following the angry noises, I approached the living room to find Harry throwing anything he could around the room.

"Harry!" I called over his cries of rage, but I was ignored. A vase was picked up and thrown against the wall. I had no idea what had gotten him into this state, but I wasn't going to allow it to happen for much longer.

I marched over to him and seized hold of his arm. I expected him to shrug me off and carry on, but my touch ignited something inside of him. He spun around on the spot and I noticed the blackness in his eyes for the first time. He was almost frothing from the mouth. His eyes were bulging and the veins in his neck were sticking out further than I had ever seen before. I took in his frightening appearance knowing I had never dealt with him like this before. I opened my mouth to say something that would calm him down, but I wasn't given the chance. Harry's hand wrapped tight around my throat and suddenly I was shoved up against the wall behind me.

"H-Harry..." I choked, clawing at his hand and kicking at his legs, but he was like a solid tower that couldn't be moved. His hand around my neck slowly raised me up the wall and I gasped, my feet dangling a few inches from the ground. The air was quickly being cut off from me. Tears dripped down my cheeks as I used all my strength not to turn into the beast that I was, but I soon realised I didn't have an option.

I closed my eyes and focused every thought, every feeling into urging the beast out of its dark cage inside me. The sensation of it clawing its way up to the surface of my skin was familiar, but I knew to supress it before it got out of control. Just as I knew I could keep the beast at bay, Harry spun me around and threw me across the room. The sudden action shocked me and I hit the wall with a heavy thud before falling to the floor. With my growing strength, I was able to quickly climb to my feet. My senses picked up an angry Harry approaching me. I dodged his punch by ducking under his arm before pushing him up against the wall face first, twisting one of his arms behind his back. He spat and swore into the brick wall, but I pressed my body against his to keep him still.

"What's going on with you?" I asked, supressing my emotions to show that he had not hurt me, that I was in control of the situation. Fear only strengthened the beast in Harry.

"Get off of me, bitch!" he yelled as he squirmed madly in my hold. His cruel words no longer upset me when he was in that state. Harry always apologised afterwards and explained that it wasn't him saying those nasty words and I believed him.

"Only if you calm down," I replied sternly. "I know you have the strength to take control, Harry. Show me you can and I'll let you go."

"Fuck you," Harry spat. "Freak."

It was that word again. I was often strong, but the word 'freak' drained that all from me and I was my young self once again, feeling the punches and kicks of the other children. That word dug its way into my mind and I believed it every time. I was a freak.