Chapter 19

Lisa reluctantly got out of her car and smoothed her dress out before looking at Chaeyoung over the hood of her car. “Remind me why I’m doing this.”

Chaeyoung moved over to Lisa and placed a kiss on her cheek. “To show your parents and everyone else that you’re doing just fine. We definitely don’t have to stay for the whole thing.”

Lisa nodded and linked her fingers with Chaeyoung as they made their way to the backyard where the gala was taking place. People filled the area already and Lisa was familiar with a lot of the doctors already from past galas.

"There are your parents," Lisa said, nodding to where Dara was drinking a glass of wine as she spoke with Jim and Celine. They made their way over to them and Celine happily greeted them.

"I've heard you two have taken a step in your relationship," Celine began.

Chaeyoung shook her head in amusement. "You make it sound like we're engaged or something. We're just officially together."

"Well you two do make a fine couple," Celine stated.

"Agreed," Jim jumped in. "But Lisa, we're going to have to talk about respecting my daughter in on-call rooms."

Lisa's eyes widened and Chaeyoung rolled her eyes. "Mom," she whined.

"What?" Dara chuckled. "I couldn't keep that to myself."

"We weren't even doing anything," Chaeyoung muttered.

"Because I interrupted," Dara said.

Before anyone could say anything else, Lisa heard someone call her. "Lalisa Priya Manoban have you forgotten about me?"

Lisa smiled at the voice and turned around to face the woman she had worked with at YG Medical. "Joo-hyun," she greeted her. "It's good to see you. And no, I haven't forgotten about you. I just assumed you were upset with me."

"For leaving?" Joo-hyun asked. "I was sad to see you go but I wasn't upset. How have things been? Jennie says you're dating someone."

"I've been well." Lisa smiled as she placed a hand on Chaeyoung's lower back. "And this is Chaeyoung, my girlfriend."

Joo-hyun reached out to shake Chaeyoung's hand. "It's a pleasure."

Chaeyoung smiled and shook her hand. "Likewise. I could use something to drink. Care to join me? You can tell me all the things Lisa probably doesn't want me to know." Chaeyoung pulled away from Lisa and winked at her girlfriend. "I'll bring you a glass," she said before walking away with Joo-hyun.

Lisa was watching Chaeyoung leave; taking in how beautiful she looked, when she was brought out of her thoughts by Jim.

"She'll be back," he said, amusedly.

Lisa blushed slightly as she returned her attention to Chaeyoung's parents and godmother. She wasn’t able to get a word out before she saw her parents walking her way. Her guard went up immediately and Jim noticed as Lisa’s relaxed demeanor slipped away.

“Priya,” Ava greeted her daughter. “I’m pleased to see that you decided to show up.” She then looked to Dara, Celine and Jim with unfamiliarity in her eyes.