Meeting the Last Brother

Rin's P.O.V

Crap what the hell did I just do? Was I actually considering killing Yukio? He's my baby brother.

I took a few deep breaths to finish calming myself down. Mizuki being right next to me helped a lot.

I gave Mizuki one more glance over to make sure she really was okay but she was too busy worrying about Yukio. Great I already proved I'm the demon people say I am, and I've only just met her.

"Yukio", I called, taking a step closer to him. It hurt to see him flinch back but I don't blame him. I'm a monster. He's the only family I have left and I tried to kill him. 

"Yukio, please? I-I'm sorry. I didn't mean to." He gave me a look like 'really?'. But he knows how impulsive I can be. "I just, when you said you were going over to ask Mizuki, it sounded like a threat. Then I felt her fear and I just saw red. Please forgive me."

Yukio mulled over my words before giving a sign. "Okay Rin, but just- don't do it again, please?"

Nodding furiously, I asked him if he was okay. I was relieved when he said he was. I know I was acting cold during Cram school, but he is still my little brother. No matter how much we try to deny it, we do love each other. Or at least I do.

I was just about to introduce Mizuki to him, but she kinda beat me to it.

"Your neck? It's not burned?!" Her eyes were locked onto his unscorched flesh that should have been blacked and charred. Eyes wide with wonder and a hint of fear.

Yukio and I quickly glanced at each other before it became a hard stare as we had a silent conversation to figure out how we wanted to tell her.

'Yukio what do we tell her?' My eyes were wide with panic.

'I don't know Rin. I'm still trying to figure out why she is here?' Yukio still had a fearful look in his eye but you could see the confusion starting to replace it.

I shrug my shoulders, 'It's a long story involving a tree, eight demon kings, and our non-human side.'

Yukio's eyes widen and his mouth dropped open a bit as he took in a large breath. 'Eight demon kings?! Rin what did you do?'

I put on an offended look. 'HEY! In my defense, I didn't want them here! Oh by the way our older brothers are really just a bunch of high school fan girls.' In the end, I was waving off those eight cheerleaders.

Yukio raised a brow, 'Do I wanna ask?'

I gave another shrug. 'No, not really. Anyway back to the topic at hand. Do we tell her the truth?'

'Well...' His eyes cut to a confused Mizuki then back to me, 'she is a demon herself so we might as well.'

We both nod ending our silent discussion and turned to a confused Mizuki whose eyes couldn't stop flickering between Yukio and me.

I clear my throat, getting her eyes to stay trained on me for my explanation. "So Mizuki, remember how I mentioned there were suppose to be two of us who could weld the blue flames?" She gave a head nod. "Well, here he is." I gave jazz a hand to help with the introduction. "I give to you, Yukio Okumura. The youngest of Satan's offspring... I believe."

I cut my eyes to Yukio right quick. 'You're the youngest of us, right?'

He gave me a discrete shrug. 'Pretty sure.'

For a minute Mizuki was quiet. "So he was the twin you were talking about? Why does he not have a tail? Did the exorcist rip it from him as a trophy?!"

What in the- "No! No, they didn't rip it off." I turned to Yukio giving him a look of horror. "You guys rip tails off of demons?! Do you know how much it hurts just to have them pulled?!"

Yukio gave me an equal look of horror. "I certainly don't as much as you shout when your's is accidentally pulled or stepped on makes me hurt just hearing you. Why would anyone wanna take a demon's tail for a trophy?"

Mizuki shrugged her shoulders. "I'm not sure, but I remember seeing it happened before. They never had the same balance ever again." She was shaking her head like it was a shame for what happened to the poor soul, which it was before it looked like something clicked in her mind. She gave a fearful look to Yukio and stepped back to create more space between them. "Wait your an exorcist. But why?! And if you are one of the offspring of Satan why don't you have any of the demon traits?"

I stepped back to let Yukio explain this one. He rubbed the back of his head in a shy matter. "Well you see since I wasn't strong enough when we were born, I didn't inherit any of the demons features one would usually find." Mizuki just nodded her head.

I clapped my hands together. "Well I don't know about you guys but I'm still tired so how bout we all get some sleep and we can talk more later in the day." Thankfully both agreed.

After sending off Mizuki back to my room, Yukio and I settled down for the night. Since every door had two beds already installed in the room I just grabbed an extra pillow and blanket, giving Yukio back his own bed.

Both of us were surrounded by complete silence until Yukio broke it.

"Rin?" I heard him call out softly. I gave an equally soft, hmm to show I was listening. "Are you okay?"

I stiffened a bit at his question. "What do you mean? Of course, I'm okay. What made you think I wasn't?" I didn't realize it but my voice slipped back into a monotone one. But Yukio sure did.

He sat up quickly and pointed at me. "That! That right there is what I'm talking about. You use to be so expressive and had many different tones and attitudes in your voice. But now it always seems like I'm talking to a brick wall. What happened Rin?"

Damn, didn't think he actually confront me about it. Should I tell him the truth? "It's nothing Yukio, forget about it. You are probably just exhausted because of your mission earlier. Go to sleep." With that, I turned over and closed my eyes to end the conversation.

I could feel him staring at me for a few more minutes before I heard the ruffling of sheets to indicate that he laid down. I was left to my own thoughts before Yukio spoke once more.

"Rin, I don't really know who this Mizuki is, but I can tell she seems good for you." He paused for a moment to yawn. " You seem to express more and open yourself up when she's around. Not to mention finally listen to someone for once in your life." He chuckled. "If she's what you need to become your old self, then I agree that we should give her a place to stay."

"How did you-"

He scuffed interrupting me. "Please from the way you attacked me when I said I'd go wake her up earlier, I can already tell that you care for her. And if you're already giving up your room instead of letting her go back to where she came from, you probably don't want her to be too far from you."

I grunted in response. He didn't have the highest entrance score for nothing. I sighed, "You're right but if what Mephisto told me is true. She may be able to help control my rage so what happened that day doesn't happen again."

You could just feel his curiosity oozing from him in waves. "How does that work?"

I shrugged. "It's a demon thing apparently. Apparently, we're almost at the age where we can have mates. Since we're the offspring of Satan and all that we reach maturity earlier than most male demons."

"I don't remember learning about this? Where did you hear this?"

"Well I wouldn't be surprised, I mean from what Mephisto has told me about it, it sounds like it could give exorcists a huge advantage in controlling other demons by simply threatening their mates." My voice had a growl when I said the next part. "That's why I can't let the Grigori find out about Mizuki. Who knows what they'll do to make sure I stay under their command."

Yukio was quiet after my explanation, letting all I said to him sink in. He replied with a simple 'I see', before rolling over.

I was left to my thoughts once more wondering why I told him all this. Now he could simply just go up to the Grigori and tell them all I said. 

'I really am an idiot aren't I?'

With that last thought, I went back to a dreamless sleep.