Wake Up Call

Rin's P.O.V

"Rin... Rin~ RIN! WAKE UP!"

"I'm up!" I shout, shooting up to a sitting position. My head snaps to a giggling Mizuki and a head-shaking Yukio. Sighing, I rub a hand to my face and let out a yawn. "What time... is it."

Yukio sends a quick glance at the clock before looking back at me. "It's 9:35."

My eye twitched. "9:35... in the morning." Without missing a beat, I grabbed the blanket, flip over to my side as I laid back down so my back faced the two-morning creatures, and tried to get a few more hours of sleep in.

I could still hear their conversation even with the blanket covering my ears though.

"Rin's not much of a morning person, is he?"

"No. Though I am surprised you got him this far with only calling his name three times. It usually takes me four attempts before I just set the alarm."

"Hmm, well got any ideas how to get him moving?"

"No, not rea- hey wait. Why don't you..."

Yukio must have whispered the plan into her ear because the conversation cut off right after that. But there is nothing that could get me to move from...

"Bye Rin. I am going to get something to eat from Ukobach then going back to my tree."

Damn Yukio! Damn Mizuki!

"Wait!" I yelled trying to jump out of the bed. Keyword being trying.

THUMP

... Damn it, why do I always face plant the floor.

"Is he okay?" I hear Mizuki's soft voice ask Yukio. 

"Yeah, just give him a minute. He bounces back fast." Yukio answered. It's nice to know he finds no point in helping me.

Seeing no point to stay like this, I sat up with a groan, rubbing my nose and shooting a glare at the two. When did they become so chummy? They're practically teaming up against me.

Mizuki went to giggle behind her hand, and Yukio finally found the decency to help me up.

Once I'm up and dusted off, I turn to the plotting duo. "So what was with the wake-up call?"

Yukio tilted his head down and adjusted his glasses. "Mizuki and I were talking this morning. She explained how the two of you met in the forest. Since she doesn't seem to get out of her tree much, I simply suggested that we could show her around a bit."

Huh, that would be a good idea to get her familiar with her new environment. Plus if she likes it, maybe it will help in convincing her to stay here with me. Then I could keep a better eye on her and keep her safe. "That sounds like a great idea."

I had turned to Mizuki to see what her response was but paused at the nervous aura that seemed to be emitting from her. "Hey Mizuki, are you okay with this?"

Her tail had twitched at the question. She started to fiddle with her hands as her eyes started to flicker around the room. "Oh... yeah, I'm okay with it."

"But..." I prompted.

She bit her lip before releasing a sign, shuffling her feet. "It's just that, I wanted to check on my tree."

Her tree? "Huh? Why would you need to check on a tree?"

Yukio facepalmed. "You bring her home and don't even ask what type of demon she is? Idiot." He grumbled under his breath before looking back up at me. Rude. "She's a Yakshini demon. They are sometimes called maiden deities and are closely associated with trees, especially the Ashoka tree and the Sal tree."

"Oh~" Maybe that would have been a good thing to ask her but I had other priorities to deal with first. Though I believe I remember her mentioning it yesterday to the rest of Satan's spawns. "Well sorry if I was more worried about getting her healed and cleaned up first." I huffed before turning back to Mizuki. "Do you wanna skip the tour and go back to visit your tree instead?"

At my words, it seemed like her eyes started to shine a little in excitement. "Can we really?"

I couldn't help but smile at her expression. "Well, sure. It's important to you. I didn't mean to keep you away from something you care about." But I do wish to keep an eye on you to make sure you stay safe.

Mizuki jumped up, pumping a fist, and shouting, "Yes!" She quickly grabbed my arm and tried to drag me behind her out of the room. "Let's go! And maybe if we still have time left, you guys can take me on the tour."

I was happy at her excitement, but... I plant my feet, causing her to be pulled to a stop. "Hey, Mizuki?" She turned to me, her smile shifting into a confused look. "I love your enthusiasm and all, but maybe you can give me a minute to put some decent clothes on?"

Her cheeks turned red as a sheepish look appeared. She gave a little chuckle and released my hand. "Yeah, sorry about that." She ducked her head but peaked up at me between her bangs. "Uh, I'll just wait downstairs." And with that, she turned and left the room.

It was silent before Yukio's chuckle filled the air. "Quite an enthusiastic mate you got there."

At the word mate, I quickly whirled around to face him. "Stupid four-eyed-mole-face! Don't just go around saying the word out loud. Who knows what or who could be listening in on us."

Yukio put on an amused smile and took on a teasing tone. "What scared Mizuki would hear us?"

"Shut up!" I snapped. "The Grigori might decide to use her as another way to control me. It's already bad enough that no one trusts me or is scared because I'm Satan's spawn."

That got him to shut up and give a sad smile. "You're right, I am sorry." He started making his way to the door. "I'll go keep Mizuki company. Meet us when you're done and we can head out." He stopped at the door, but still kept faced away from me. "Rin I won't let them hurt her... you know that right? Though I may have not shown it, you can trust me." With that, he headed out of the room.

I sighed, I don't know Yukio. Maybe once before, but after everything that's happened, it's hard to say. I go to pick out and put some clothes on. But I'm more afraid that you don't trust me and it will come back to haunt me.