cut from the same cloth

yasmin

I stood with my fingers interlocked with Kenya at the podium. Just behind us was were Jayo had been buried and today we said goodbye. Kenya would give the eulogy but I stood up with her for support as she asked.

She squeezed my hand tight as she fixed the mic, "I been dreading this day. All of us gathering here to say goodbye makes it real. And I just been hoping it was some kind of nightmare and that I'd wake up beside him."

My eyes landed on Hakeem who sat in a crowd of people but had his eyes fixed directly on me. He broke the stare as soon as I seen him.

"His name was Jayvion Jackson, but we all knew him by Jayo. He was so pure in a sense that you could find calm swirling through his brown eyes before you noticed anything else. He loved bigger than himself and he was there for anybody who needed him. He carried such a strong and confident demeanor, it was almost terrifying to people who didn't know him. But to the ones who did, Jayo was a real person who had fears of his own. Somewhere along the lines, those fears became mine too. He was so afraid of failure. But he never failed at anything for as long as I've known him. I remember he would always say 'people never get the flowers while they can still smell em'. But in the weeks before Jayo left us, he was at his prime. He had offers galore, he had just won districts. He was so happy, and so loved. Jayo got to smell his flowers--" her voice cracked at the end, as a tear strolled down her cheek.

"I'm sorry y'all." she wiped it away.

"You good babygirl." Jayo mama's spoke, followed by a number of shouts of encouragement.

"Jayo was called home by God at 18. But he lives on through all of us who knew and loved him. And through his son." everyone looked around confused. Kenya squeezed my hand even tighter, "I'm pregnant with his son."

Reactions of all sorts were given. Mostly gasps, tears, and praises to God followed. Jayo's mom was on her knees in tears thanking God for 'a piece of her baby'.

A thud was heard and we all turned to see Kenya's father had fainted. Her mother sobbed into her hands.

Kenya sucked in a breath, turning to face me. "I guess it could've been worse."

I smiled back at her, "I can't wait to meet him."

--

Following the service, while Melo watched over Kenya, I made it my mission to find Keem. But Jax had managed to lock him down instead. They both sat on the steps of the church stairs.

"Yeah, and I scored right on him!" Jax told him.

"Told you his ass was sorry. You the one." Keem held out a fist bump for Jax.

"Hey." I spoke softly, joining them.

"Hey." Keem avoided looking at me.

"Hey!" Jax smiled.

"Jax go find Kalin. Let the grown folks talk." I shoo'd him off.

"You're not even grown."

"Boy, I'm not gon tell you again."

He rolled his eyes standing up, "Fine. Keem you coming to my next game right?"

"Uh--"

"He's coming Jaxon." I answered for him.

"Bet." he nodded to himself then made his way back in the church.

"Now why you had to go and tell him that?" he crossed his arms over his chest as he looked at me.

"Because you're going."

"It ain't safe for me round here."

"I know everything. Rob told me."